Night Of The Stormrider review by Iced Earth

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Iced Earth: Night Of The Stormrider

Looking for thrashy power metal? Look no further than Iced Earth. Looking for Iced Earth's best album? Look no further than Night of the Stormrider. This concept album is one of the best American metal masterpieces ever. Jon Schaffer establishes himself as one of the greatest rhythm guitarists ever on this album placing him among the ranks of James Hetfield and Tony Iommi. And thats what this whole album is all about, blistering rhythm guitar. This whole album consists of riff after riff of quick paced triplets and elaborate uses of melody.

Night of the Stormrider is a concept album and for those of you who don't know that means every song is part of one big long story. Specifically this one tells the story of man who rejects his religion and is visited by a stormrider. He then becomes a stormrider himself and terrorizes people and that good stuff. The lyrics on this album are really really cool as far as the way things are phrased. The first time I heard, "We paint the sky with blood tonight/Setting free the damned to fight," and "Fight on!/Grab on!/Stormrider!/Stormrider!," I was floored.

This is my personal favorite album of Iced Earth's but it all comes down to preference when dealing with this band because they simply don't release bad albums. Some of the key songs on this album are Pure Evil, Angels Holocaust, Stormrider, and Path I Choose. This is a great album if you're trying to get into heavier music or just looking for the best power metal on the planet. Buy this album immediately.