Night Of The Stormrider review by Iced Earth

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Iced Earth: Night Of The Stormrider

First off this band is amazing before I bought the CD I'd only heard one song from them and that was Angls Holocaust. It was the one song that made me want to buy the cd.Their sound is really crunchy on the rythm but yet very clear. The lead sound is very harmonized and their are also a lot of synths during the solos they blend together almost perfectly. Most of the solos include lots of legato, tapping, and sweeping, and that's what makes it so great. And all the acoustic stuff is awesome I thought I'd heard all the evil aoustic parts but they make it so interestingly different.

The lyrics are slightly distorted and dubbed with clearer singing you can understand what their saying my first impression was holy shit that's pretty damn cool I'd never heard anything like it before mosat of the other stuff is all screaming and growling from most other bands like Iced Earth. On the acoustic side the singing is very clear and hs voice almost harmonizes with the guitar. I think Tim Owens can do almost anything as far as vcals go. He's one of the most versatile singers out there. As far as the lyrics on the tape it's like a story because most of the tracks run together the whole CD is about the journey of the stormrider.

I doesnt't compare to most albums in the progressive metal category except for maybe Symphony X or Blind Guardian. The songs that stuck out most for me were Angels Holocaust, The Stormrider, Desert Rain, And Travel In Stygian. I like that the vocals are a bit raspy but you can still understand them, and the crunch and harmonization of the guitar is incredible. If it were stolen or lost I would have to buy a new one.

smithfor ak0
    This shit is so Metal. Schaffer is one of the Gods of Metal, along with Chuck Schuldiner and James Hetfield. Long Live Metal!
    smithfor ak0
    And Satanchrist, the dude that sang this album originally wasn't Tim Owens, it was John Greely. You know, the Jew hater.