Night Of The Stormrider review by Iced Earth

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Iced Earth: Night Of The Stormrider

The sound on this album is spectacular, from the galloping distorted guitars to the powerful soaring vocals. Angel's Holocaust starts off with some choir vocals and a heavy rhythm guitar, and right here you know it's going to be a great album. The beautiful melodies, the mesmerizing and sometimes haunting clean parts, and the crushing thrash riffs and blazing solos weave perfectly throughout this album. It will grab you and won't let go until the very end with the melodic piano outro in Travel in Stygian.

When you're dealing with concept albums, there's usually great lyrics that tell a story, and with NotS this proves true. The story is of a man and his feelings of betrayal and hatred, and how he turns those feelings to revenge, with a little help from the dark forces. The descriptions of visions, battles, and evil taking form to bring about the end of the world make it seem somewhat real, probably from the style of the music always fitting the mood of the lyrics, but the words wouldn't mean as much without the powerful vocals to bring them to life. John Greely's vocals throughout this album go from high to low and he does a very good job. The high pitched singing in Travel in Stygian brings out the pain in the words, and his low, clean singing is very fitting as well.

This is one of the greatest metal albums ever, and one of my favorites. With songs like Angel's Holocaust, Stormrider, The Path I Choose, Desert Rain, Pure Evil, and Travel in Stygian it's not hard to see why this album is so great. I love the speed and heaviness on this album, and at the same time the clean passages too. There's nothing on this CD that I hate, at all. If it were stolen/lost/damaged I would definately buy a new one ASAP.