The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2 review by Iced Earth

• Released: Sep 8, 2008
Iced Earth: The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2

Holy shit! That was my first reaction when I had just completed the first run through of this album, with the addition of a little aching in my neck from headbanging to much. I thought that Framing Armageddon was really good, hell I think all of their stuff is good, but this album really does f--king kill from start to finish. The production on this record is better then Framing Armageddons. The guitars remain crisp, while still delivering a barage of different tones and still delivering that tremendous wall of distortion. The drumming is top notch, as Brent Smedley being back is truly sweet. He is a very talented drummer, and remains powerful throughout complimenting the other instruments very well. This album is the conclusion of the something wicked saga that Jon Shaffer has crafted over the years, beginning with the Something Wicked Trilogy on Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Welcome back matt barlow! There is truly something magical about the Shaffer/Barlow combination. They bring out the best in each others performances. The lyrics are the typical Iced Earth fashion, and the lyrics compliment the story. I'm just going to assume that everyone reading this actually knows a little bit about this band, so I wont describe the story as it would take a little while, but the lyrics compliment the story. Barlows voice is not completely as powerful as it once was, but that comes to every artist with age. Even with that, you can't tell. His voice is still more powerful then many of his peers.

This is definately one of the best Iced Earth albums to date. I saw the first return show with matt barlow, and you could tell something magical was happening on that stage that night. it was no surprise really when this album was released that it was this good, especially after hearing the first single, I walk alone. Among the strongest on this album are, harbinger of Fate, Divide Devour, Come What May, Something Wicked part 3, I walk alone, and the Iced Earth type balladesque A Gift Or A Curse. This CD hasn't left my car since I bought it. If someone stole it, I would rip apart their limbs and sell them to get money back to pay for a new copy. I can't wait until they come back to Chicago. One of the best bands hands down, and guess what, they aren't done. More incredible stuff will come from this band! If you can, I highly recommend you see them.

Metallica1327
    Hell yes! I recently discovered Iced Earth around April and ever since I heard Dante's Inferno they have over took Metallica as my favorite band of all time. This made it official with the release of both Crucible of Man and Death Magnetic in the same week. Now I still LOVE Metallica and enjoy Death Magnetic, but Crucible of Man is just ****in epic! Jon Schaffers saga has finally been completed after 10 long years and was truly worth the wait (actually it will be completed once Barlow re-voices Framing Armageddon). Matt Barlow is the best voice in metal, when his return was announced I was so overcome with joy I nearly did a back flip. The entire album is great so I wont waste time listing my favorite tracks, and combined with Framing Armageddon it makes for an amazing 2 hours of music. Jon Schaffer is a true metal god and his Something Wicked epic only adds to his genius. Buy this album, you will not be disappointed!
    KVX10 KING V
    I guess i'm the only one on here who didn't enjoy this album? That you are right my friend. This album truly has out done Framing Armageddon. The guitar work is classic Schaffer, where as the vocals remind me of something from Burnt Offerings. I'm glad Barlow is back. Iced Earth rules.
    Alucard_Nos4atu
    [quoteI guess i'm the only one on here who didn't enjoy this album?][/quote] nope your not alone, in my opinion they shouldve finished this project with Owens, then add Barlow for their next album
    Metallica1327
    They are going to have Barlow voice over Framing Armageddon after this tour. It's an amazing album, but would have been even better with Matt's vocals.
    h3llh4mm3r
    Metallica1327
    h3llh4mm3r wrote: I never was a fan of Iced Earth and this album won't make me one, and for one simple reason: I can't stand Barlow's voice. Musically, what they do is good, but the signer really sucks. Bring back Owens! And I may be the only one thinking that re-voicing Framing Armageddon is an insult to the former frontman, and frankly I don't give a sh*t. No class, Shaffer.
    I would love to know who you think is a better metal singer than Matt Barlow so I can get a good laugh. Schaffer isn't revoicing Framing Armageddon because Owens wasn't good enough. Both CDs are the same thing... Something Wicked. It's meant to be listened to in one sitting for the best experiance and the change of singers is very noticable. Barlow is the voice of Iced Earth who features a wide ranged voice from low demon like sounds to high pitched screams that are up there with Owens. Owens can hit the 10 second high pitched screams... but his singing voice is far from the best.