Above The Earth, Below The Sky review by If These Trees Could Talk

• Released: Mar 11, 2009
If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky

If These Trees Could Talk fuse post-rock with a little bit of hard rock to form a beautiful frenzy of emotional, bad-a**, guitar-driven music. While the music isn't totally innovative, it refines everything you could hope out of a typical post-rock and adds a nice amount of origianl flare. To compare them to another band, I'd say they sound like Red Sparowes with some Isis and alternative-esque stuff thrown into the mix. Unlike many post-rock bands *cough GY!BE cough*, there is very little filler; the album keeps your attention throughout its entire course. Similar to other post-rock albums, the tracks run together, giving the album a connected feel. To conclude, the band sounds great and creates stunning music.

The music is vocal-less, so I can't give this category an accurate score. However, the instrumentation is so powerful, I think adding vocals would take away from the music. Singing would just remove some of the soul-encompassing atmosphere. Since the lack of lyrics work so well, I give this category an 8.

Compared to their self-titled EP, Above the Earth, Below the Sky is on par. If These Trees Could Talk measures up to post-rock giants like Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, perhaps even surpassing them. There is not a single weak song on the album. The strongest song in my opinion is by far "From Roots to Needles", but other awesome songs include "What's in the Ground Belongs to You", "Below the Sky", and "The Sun Is in the North". I absolutely love this album; the only minor qualm I have is that the songs in the beginning overshadow the later tracks. It's hardly significant, though, because it's still entirely awesome. If this album were lost or stolen, I'd go to cdbaby.com right away and buy another copy. I highly recommend Above the Earth, Below the Sky to any one who likes post-rock or rock in general.

Vinushka
    Oh hell yes, so good to see these guys getting reviewed. I love Post-Rock, but a lot of it is samey. These guys add a twist and make it different. They're excellent.
    silly hats
    I was hooked on these guys as soon as I watched the inFamous trailer on loop.
    AtomicPunk7
    I'm surprised to see them reviewed on UG but it's great nevertheless. One of my Favorite post-rock albums.
    Sabscope
    Thank you so much for this - because of this review I checked them out, and I can already tell they're gunna be a much played band for me. Nice one.
    tbrown8890
    Alter-Bridge
    tbrown8890 wrote: These guys are seriously this big? I saw them about a year ago at a local show here (they're a local band here) and I never thought they'd get anywhere simply because at the venue I went to it seemed like nobody cared for them. I liked them, though all my friends bashed on them, but thats simply because they weren't into post-rock. I went and got a sticker from their merch stand simply because I thought it looked sweet, and its still placed on the back of my laptop that I'm typing this on. Its just crazy to me to see such a small, once unheard of band get big enough to be reviewed online, on ultimate-guitar, of all places. Crazy.
    The wonders of the internet.
    WayneACB
    I'm really glad these guys are getting some spotlight. Amazing album! =D
    Bassball
    sick album - love them - check out a more mellow version - Caspian - again instrumental but awesome