Hallelujah review by Igorrr

• Released: Dec 21, 2012
Igorrr: Hallelujah

Oh man. You've probably never heard anything like this. Igorrr is one of the numerous music projects of French musician/producer Gautier Serre. He calls this style baroquecore. Now, I know (as I'm sure you do too) from several unpleasant prior experiences, to be wary of genres ending in -core. I'm so glad I wasn't turned off by the name though, because this is some of the most interesting and sublime music I've ever heard.

A word of warning: this is definitely a style that would be considered "weird". It may be an acquired taste for some. Were a listener to dismiss it after the first few minutes with "WTF am I listening to", that reaction would be completely understandable. My point is, it's not very easy to listen to. It's quite far off the beaten track. It's not for the casual listener, or the superficially musically inclined. But if you put in the effort to really take it in, it may well be one of the most incredible, sublime listening experiences you will go through.

This album is, in essence, primarily what is known as breakcore, combined with interspersions of classical music, heavy metal, trip-hop, flamenco, electronica, and a wide variety of samples including a chicken (his name is Patrick), and all this is tied up neatly with a bow made out of the mathematical precision that is typical of baroque music and made possible with computers. It *is* very electronic-sounding, especially the beats, but never jarring or out-of-place. Every track creates a mood and either sticks to it firmly, or throws it out of the window - but at those points you can somehow always see the producer sitting at the mixing desk, smiling and thinking "I wonder if they'll see this one coming".

This section has turned out to be pretty long already, but you'll notice I haven't really been able to describe the music properly. This is because I don't think it really can be described; you have to hear it to understand.

If you're a fan of strange electronic music, very adventurous metal, or just weird shit in general, you might like this. It's no guarantee, but check it out and do give it a chance.

YouTube preview picture

Most of the album is instrumental. The first track, "Tout Petit Moineau," is sung in a language created by the vocalist. Quite a few samples are used, but they are treated as instruments or novelty sounds, rather than as specific vocals. As corny as it sounds, one of the goals of this album is to transcend language barriers, so it's accessible to anyone who might want their mind blown by it. So there isn't much to say about lyrics, but the singer on the tracks that do have vocals is great, and she can do one hell of a scream.

The opening track, "Tout Petit Moineau," would be my favourite as a whole, but there are sections of other tracks which I absolutely adore as well. It's full of interesting little nods and winks which, as an aspiring producer, I find fascinating. This is the kind of album you want to listen to in the dark, where you can see images forming and moving with the music, with no other distractions. It's also the kind of album you want to dissect, spending hours figuring out every little tool and trick they used.

I've only heard one previous Igorrr album, "Nostril." I personally think this one is better, neater, and more polished, but it's purely a matter of taste, I just think this one is more competent in terms of variety and engagement. I would absolutely buy it again if I lost it, it's one of the most incredible music projects I've found.

User0fAName
    This album is AWESOME. Deserves to be admired and worshipped just like on the cover art.