Dead New World review by Ill Niño

• Released: Oct 26, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ill Niño: Dead New World

Alternative rock and metal are producing a lot of unwanted offspring; genres are being catapulted into the world of music at an unrealistic pace yet there's no one to blame. The latest disc from New Jersey's Ill Nino engages with different sounds but stays true to its foundation without a lack of volume that would spark unnecessary comparisons dealing with Guidos and fist-pumping jams. Dead New World isn't a metal landmark; it's a righteous display of Ill Nino's talent and ability to compose material that appears new while intertwining nu metal with what's considered modern alternative rock. Reinforcing that are songs like "Serve The Grave" that fuse a gritty 90s' melody with singer Cristian Machado's tireless angst to create a catchy tune that's not painted with a mainstream palette. There are bound to be listeners that critique how aggressive the group actually are on the release though. While "Killing You, Killing Me" and "Scarred" break free with a primal snarl, other tracks lack ferocity in certain areas. Instead of not releasing the trigger, a number of breakdowns take a step back, almost to the point where it seems like it was done on purpose. Where they relapse, Ill Nino recover, especially with the unexpected cover of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Bullet With Butterfly Wings". Few artists dare to stamp a cover song on a new release and instead of doing a bland rendition, the group takes the alternative rock gem and dusts it off with their Latin metal flavor, full of enticing riffs that leave a mark that's almost tribal.

One can't question Cristian Machado's vocals. His ability to transfer between menacing growls and desperate wails is impressive and blends well with the band's decision to build momentum and swing into melodic chorus sections that may be the group's best to date. The vocals do falter in a similar fashion as they drop in aggression and emphasis at times ("Against The Wall"), but the splattered Spanish lyrics and stable songwriting chained to touching influences gets the album back to its boiling point. The themes may not be groundbreaking when compared to Ill Nino's rivals, but they shouldn't be overlooked as they're satisfyingly standard.

Alternative metal bands try to reinvent themselves by showing another side or going out of character and their fate ends up being an utter disaster. For Ill Nino, they kept everything simple, thus creating an average release that breathes desperation and monumental choruses and exhales a brilliant vocal display that does overshadow other instruments. Similar to the band's history, Dead New World isn't an editor's pick for everyone, but it's a must-listen for avid fans and those who wish nu metal would reclaim its home in music.

mysticguitar77
    Nu-metal is one of those genres of music where you have to look past the Korns, Limp Bizkit's, and Slipknot's, in other words, the poster boys of the genre to find it's true greatness. Bands like Sevendust, From Zero, and Mushroomhead just to name a few take what Korn and Limp Bizkit started and brought it to a new level. Sevendust has been around since the mid-90's and are still rockin' the same type of music they did back then and they still have one of the most dedicated fanbases nu-metal has ever seen. Ill Nino, as long as they are consistent (which they have been), why knock them just because they are nu-metal? At least they haven't morphed into post-grunge like so many nu-metal bands have (Papa Roach, Godsmack, Stone Sour, etc.) and have stuck to their roots. And ironically, post-grunge has taken over where nu-metal left off and is now one of the most hated genres in music today. But, what are you going to do? The chances are the nu-metal haters all owned LP's Hybrid Theory and played it out to no end when they were younger. Still doesn't give them the right to bitch and moan to the people that still enjoy nu-metal.
    mpedara429
    For those of us who have followed Ill Nino from the beginning, we know this review is garbage. Dead New World was perfectly made for 2010. The album definitely is more metal than nu-metal. The band has evolved with the times while still keeping their core essence.
    mysticguitar77
    Not bad. I'd say it's their best since One Nation Underground, also their heaviest album to date I think. 8/10
    Slicer666
    EpiExplorer wrote: Kwonnie wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: reignofrock wrote: I grew up when nu metal was all the rage, but I can honestly say I don't know a single person (that I know, at least) who wants nu metal to "reclaim" anything. It was a trend. I still have warm memories of nu metal, but metal's making a comeback and nu metal only started that movement, it was just a stepping stone between the awesome heydays and what we're slowly working towards. That's my opinion at least. I like to think of nu metal as popular metal, or "radio friendly" metal... if there ever was a thing. Yeh, there was. Glam metal, obviously, and of course this random Visual kei rubbish.. What's rubbish about visual kei? For that matter, what's radio-friendly about it? And how do you even connect it with metal? It's a genre of band, not a genre of music. 'A genre of band'? Isn't that just making up phrases? And I tell you whats rubbish: Gives us men a bad look e.e
    The only bad look lots of visual kei bands give is that men can look better in dresses than women. And Kwonnie is right.
    Paro_metalhead
    "a must-listen for avid fans and those who wish nu metal would reclaim its home in music" hahhahahaha people, NU METAL IS DEAD GET OVER YOURSLEVES, the genre almost ruined heavy metal by taking out the complexity and tone and replacing it with three chord songs and bassy tone...
    EpiExplorer
    Mainer wrote: dadgum, these guys are still around?! wow. I love Confession, and can't wait to here this. and to all the nu-metal haters...c'mon what else do you got? Screamo, GaGa, or nu-metal...I'd pick nu-metal any day
    Out of that choice, I'd probably go nu-metal.
    Mainer
    strat0blaster
    And additionally - the reviewer suggesting that their covering a song was a surprise obviously forgot the EP album "The Undercover Sessions" which was almost entirely covers, save for one original.
    rocker222
    J Krist wrote: Can we please just kill anything nu metal? At this point, the only reason I'll ever listen to any of it is to use it as a reference point for what not to listen to.
    go away, no one likes a troll
    J Krist
    Kwonnie
    Slicer666 wrote: The only bad look lots of visual kei bands give is that men can look better in dresses than women.
    +1,000,000
    EpiExplorer
    But it would mean the same thing as genre of music, unless its gonna be all 'WELL THATS WHERE YOU'RE WRONG!' on the comments section like on a youtube video.
    Kwonnie
    Type of band =/= type of music said band plays. Visual kei is not limited to one genre of music. It can be pop, rock, w/e.
    strat0blaster
    Alright - firstly, this album is a pretty far cry from nu-metal, which was embodied by bands like Stand, Korn, and Cold. It's immediately evident from the first minute of the first song, and this is coming from a fan of nu-metal. Secondly, it's nothing like their older albums at all. If you listen to Revolution/Revolucion and then to this, it's immediately evident. Where do they get these reviewers from?
    reignofrock
    mr_metal121
    haven't heard these guys in ages, used to love them. Might have to check this out.
    ColdbringeR
    What is with the nu-metal bashing? I would welcome a nu-metal comeback any day if it meant less of this rehashed shit metal we have right now. That said, the cover of Bullet With Butterfly Wings was pretty terrible. Guessing the record label made them do it.