Revolution Revolucion review by Ill Niño

• Released: Sep 18, 2001
Ill Niño: Revolution Revolucion

Ill Nino's first album is an impressive combination of heavy, distorted guitar riffs and melodic vocals. Imagine Spineshank, but with a more latino influence. The way that the drums are used is also quite unique. It's nu-metal, I'd be lying if i claimed it wasn't, but it's actually not too bad. There are some really good riffs on here, and although some of it is a bit crap, there's a lot that you can listen to and even enjoy.

For me, this is where Ill Nino fall down. The lyrics are awful. The rhyming sounds so forced and random at times that it's hard not to cringe. However, this isn't too much of a problem, because you usually can't hear them. The vocals are great, and the transition between roars and singing is equally as good. Unfortunately, because of the poor quality of the lyrics, though, I can't give this anything more than average. It's nu-metal, what d'ya expect?

Despite this concern, this album is quite good, particularly for when you're in an aggressive mood. The riffs are punishing and loud, and the screams accompany them so well. I like this album, and would recommend it to anyone who likes any of the Roadrunner Records stuff (i.e. Murderdolls, Spineshank, etc). It's surprisingly good once you get into it.