The Undercover Sessions review by Ill Niño

• Released: Nov 7, 2006
Ill Niño: The Undercover Sessions

In the new EP "The Undercover Sessions", the band really emplify a new sound. We have seen Ill Nino change throughout the short time they have been together with new guitarists, vocalists, bassists and perccusionists, with this thier sound has also changed. "Revolution Revolucion" saw the days of a heavier outlook with more thrashy and darker riffs and lyrics, however through this has now regressed to a more mellow sound, retaining this darker side in certain songs. Many fans saw "One Nation Underground" as a let down but this new EP will pay off. They really increase the use of Danny Couto (percussionist) in this EP and with new guitarist Diego Verduzco on board the sound seems to finally be changing into something more wholesome. In this album we also see more use of Omar Clavijo on keyboard and other likewise instruments. The covers are a big change for Ill Nino and it gives this album a more '80s crossed with latin metal outlook. The riffs vary from song to song and none of them sound the same, they are truly begining to engineer a clear, precise sound.

Cristian Machado never ceases to amaze, in past albums he has taken insipration from his life but he is now getting ideas from wherever he can including the outside world. This shows in the two new songs on this album. He also applies himself well to the covers however I am disapointed that the outside world doesn't have enough inspiration for him to write a few more songs for the EP. Chino Moreno (who only stars in one song) also adds a new sound, however I don't think he is needed. Therefore I don't think lyrically this EP is the best it could have been, but the original material on here packs some impact and much like the other albums can be related to by almost anyone.

Really this album is only for fans, but could be the start of a new Ill Nino Era. The original songs contained on it's binary covered surface show us that Ill Nino still have what it takes, although "Zombie Eaters" is a bit of a let down the covers give us a welcome change. I advise getting a copy asap because only 20,000 have been printed and 10,000 have already been sold. it's a good buy for good fans and collectors of good music but it definately isnt the best we have seen from them.