Night Visions review by Imagine Dragons

• Released: Sep 4, 2012
Imagine Dragons: Night Visions

Imagine Dragons got their start in Las Vega, Nevada. Playing whatever shows they could find to who ever would listen. Since 2009 they have released a couple EPs with several songs on them. Entitled "Continued Silence" and "It's Time" these EPs were the starting point for the band. On both of these EPs was the hit song "It's Time". This one song is the launching point for them and they began touring outside their original home of Las Vegas. On September 4th the band had released their first full length album with the name "Night Visions". Imagine Dragons has a sound that is noticeable once you hear their songs. However, what can be noted is the fact that some stand out more than others in terms of sound. Tracks such as "It's Time", "Amsterdam", "On Top Of The World", and "Underdog" all play off of a happy and danceable sound. While other tracks like "Demons", "Bleeding Out", and "Radioactive" are a bit more serious and is heard especially with the increased use of the bass drum that is used. The Bass drum is an identifying actor for the band in which it drives many of the large choruses. The overall sound for the album is clear and sounds very powerful and it is obvious these guys put emotion into their music. Weak points of the sound are seen in the tracks "Nothing Left To Say/Rocks" and "Underdog". These two songs specifically do not seem to grasp my attention in any way and can almost bore me. High points include the single "It's Time", "Demons", "Amsterdam", and "Radioactive".

For the most part the lyrics of this album are quite good. Imagine Dragons has done a good job of using imagery as a source to match the music and create pictures in the listener's mind. This can be seen in "Radioactive" especially. As the thumping beat of the drum pounds through the song lead singer Dan Reynolds sings "I'm waking up to ash and dust/ I wipe my brow and sweat my rust". These lyrics help paint the picture of a desolate wasteland and do so well. Many of the other songs use good lyrics as well. "It's Time" describes how one should never change who they really are for others. "But I'll admit I'm just the same as I was/ and now don't you understand/ that I'm never changing who I am." These are the best lyrics on the album however there are some moments that must be taken note of. The rocks portion of the album has some not so good lyrics. Reading "let the forest hear our sound/ Boom ba Boom ba Boom" It does not add to the song and makes it very childish and not in a good way as in "On Top Of The World". Overall Lyrics are mostly solid on this album with a few hiccups here and there.

Since this is technically the debut album of the band there is very little to compare it to. However in comparison to their previously released EP's the songs on the EP's were much better as a whole. Since many of the songs from previous releases were put on the final CD it was a welcomed treat to see. However the new songs do not measure up to the previous releases with maybe the exception of Hear me and "Every Night". The best songs on the album are the songs from previous releases such as "Radioactive" and "On Top Of The World". Below is m y track by track review of the album: 1. "Radioactive" - my favorite song when I first heard it on "Continued Silence". Powerful sound mixed with powerful lyrics and booming drums. 2. "Tiptoe" - Verses are a bit weak, but has a solid chorus and decent instrumentals. 3. "It's Time" - although it is about to become even more overplayed than it already is this is a solid track. Chorus is catchy and lyrics are perfect with a good message 4. "Demons" - Imagine Dragons slows it down a bit and in my opinion is a fantastic track that delivers true raw emotion and fitting background music that eventually picks up into a great ballad. 5. "On Top Of The World" - very happy track that gets me dancing. Fun music and great chorus. 6. "Amsterdam" - I really enjoy the simple nature of this song. The verses speak to me and chorus picks me up. 7. "Hear Me" - A little different in the verses, yet familiar. The chorus is magnificent and the overall sound blends together well. Chorus is loud and proud. 8. "Every Night" - similar to "Demons" in that it is a bit slower but it really seems to work here. Mellow seems to fit the lyrics and it still has that Imagine Dragons sound. 9. "Bleeding Out" - starts out very slow and depressing but picks up rather quickly. Not one of my favorites on the album although still stands up well. 10. "Underdog" - really nothing special about this track. Very generic and does not grab attention of the listener. 11. "Nothing Left To Lose/Rocks" - The longest and my least favorite on the album. Like underdog there is very little here to marvel about. Also why couldn't they split this into two songs? Very good album for what it has although some of the newer tracks reduce its value.

mattiscool7337
    I like Underdog. Maybe just give your own opinion rather than a generalization? Not trying to start anything!
    nigelm91
    I disagree fully with what you wrote about Nothing Left to say/Rocks, that song is brilliant and you know shit. lol, just my honest opinion