Night Visions review by Imagine Dragons

• Released: Sep 4, 2012
Imagine Dragons: Night Visions

Indie power band, Imagine Dragons has witnessed massive commercial success with the folk-tinted "It's Time" and the bass heavy pseudo-rocker "Radioactive," but what lies deeper within the album holding these hits? More of the same? You'd be surprised. "Night Visions" is an album of interesting proportions, fluctuating between the large and grandiose sounds of "Radioactive" and the Coldplay-like sensitivity of "Demons." Somehow though, this melting pot of vaguely familiar sounds combined with Imagine Dragons' unique use of them, works in the best possible way. A track or two sounds reminiscent of The Killers, which is no surprise since it was recorded at their own Battleborn studios in Nevada. There are many influences, from electronica to folk. Solid album, recommended for indie and alternative fans.

Look into my eyes/it's where my demons hide/don't get too close/it's dark inside, expresses singer Dan Reynolds with a highly atmospheric beat behind his honeyed vocals on "Demons." This track spoke to me in a lot of ways and I felt it to be a rather moving and extremely enjoyable track. Another personal favorite of mine. The lyrics of every song revolve around a wide range of topics from secrecy to love to life progress to just sheer happiness. Though it might not be the deepest listen, the album is generally made up of quality material. Dan Reynolds is a decent singer, with enough of a rasp to be able rock but with enough smooth, pop sensibility to restrain it.

For their first full length outting, "Imagine Dragons" have their style pretty well figured out. Every song is different, but there's a vague familiarity to some songs. In the end, the album is comparable to the Neon Trees' album, "Picture Show" in overall album quality. The most impressive tracks are "Demons," "Radioactive," and "Hear Me." I love that the album has a lot of influences and that they're good at conquering the styles used on the album. I hate that the album can try too hard with certain songs to appeal a pop audience. I'd most likely buy another copy if it was stolen.