Smoke + Mirrors review by Imagine Dragons

• Released: Feb 17, 2015
Imagine Dragons: Smoke + Mirrors

They're sound is a brilliant, ethereal experience that is invigorating. Dan Reynolds can hit all of the notes flawlessly and presents them in such a hard hitting, emotional way that on first listen, I was crying from the beauty. There is a lot more use of the guitar on this record compared to their first record? The production done by Alexander Grant is spectacular, and it is at it's best on the songs "I'm So Sorry" and "Smoke and Mirrors." This band is a great representation of raw indie rock melded into smooth hip-hop production.

The lyrics are beautiful. They are about repentance and redemption, and anyone can relate to them. The music represents the lyrics in the best way possible. In the moments when it needs to be quiet and emotional, It's quiet and emotional (in "Hopeless Opus," right before the chorus, it get's really quiet and you can feel the pain in his voice). When the lyrics are full of angst, the songs get powerful, and Dan Reynolds shows us that he can scream as well as sing. Overall, if you study the lyrics, there is a lot more there than the words.

This is the second best album of all time. The best track would definitely be the title track, because of the sheer brilliance expressed through the music, lyrics, emotions and even the production. There are a couple skippable tracks on this record ("I Bet My Life," "Polaroid" and "Summer"), but the album as a whole is enjoyable, relatable and exiting. There's something for everybody here, and the diversity is a fresh breath of air compared to all the albums out there that try to be cohesive, but instead turn out like one long, boring song. Definitely worth it's weight in gold!