All Shall Fall review by Immortal

• Released: Sep 25, 2009
Immortal: All Shall Fall

Seven years after Sons of Northern Darkness, black metal tyrants Immortal release their eighth full length album, All Shall Fall. It's not an album that treads new ground, however fans will be pleased with the return of those signature Abbath riffs and acoustic song intros. Not one bad track on the whole album, All Shall Fall is consistent and powerful. It's not as aggressive as "At The Heart of Winter", but it's not trying to be, either. The album is refined and to the point.

Some say Immortal's lyrics are cheesy, but I find them strong and poetic. Tracks like "Unearthly Kingdom" simply describe a dark, icy realm by the name of Blashyrkh: "Pass the gate to Blashyrkh worlds, An everburning fire swirls, Here shadows hold a grimly sight, Dark must the eyes that see it be." Abbath's word choice is rather intelligent and shows the mark of a true lyricist. I can picture almost everything he says.

This album has a wide variety of songs viced into forty minutes. Tracks like "Hordes To War" are more brutal and fierce, whereas the eight minute ending track, "Unearthly Kingdom" is slower and epic. Even "Rise to Darkness", while somewhat brutal, maintains a fun, almost cowboy rodeo sounding riff in the verse. There's much auditory pleasure to be found in All Shall Fall, and while at the first few listens it sounds a little dry and all too similar to their old sound, it grows on you quite a bit.

drawnacrol
    Great review, I felt Immortal were following the way satyricon went with now,diabolical by writing songs that were more upbeat and bang your head, 8/10 from me
    EpiExplorer
    o.e Eh, at least these guys TRY to break the mould of that crap recording/repetitive riff thing. the Solos are nice to listen to aswell. But if you really wanna be blown away, search for Gothefall \m/,
    Doodooma
    Wow...isn't my grammar check just great? The ONE LINE I mis-write, just happens to be in the albums description replace "THE" with "OF"...I apologize for that. English isn't exactly my first language...but i guess i try Buy the album, it's worth it.
    ShoeFaceBass
    All Shall Fall is one of the best tracks i've heard for a long time. This album is ridiculously fantastic!!
    adeliq
    'TallicaRules
    adeliq : Wow. Didnt think i would like this album as im not huge into black metal. But this is REALLY good.
    I never actually listened to black metal. But then I checked this out after it got gr8 reviews (a 9.8 from reviewer pete, if I remember correctly). I was blown away by All Shall Fall. All the songs are just brilliant.
    The Black Salts
    I wonder how Abbath developed his style to actually sound like ice. I mean, the guitar tone helps but how do you come up with something that sounds like an iceberg. I'd like to see the same thing done with fire.
    Blashyrkh89
    I wasn't really sure about this album when it first came out. I was excited about it considering it was the first album in 7 years, but i wasn't sure. I listened to it and was amazed. It is probably the best come back album i have ever listened to. Although it wasnt like at the heart of winter, it is still a great album. it was worth the money i spent of the deluxe box edition from nuclear blast. aha