Sons Of Northern Darkness review by Immortal

• Released: Feb 4, 2002
Immortal: Sons Of Northern Darkness

Immortal has an extremely distinct sound. Their signature frosty and tense sound is stronger than ever in Sons Of Northern Darkness. This album is one of their most popular, and I'm not surprised because it is probably is their best. I find this album to be much better recorded than other Immortal albums, which is a plus. My only complaint would be that as previously mentioned in a previous review, some clean guitar sections in the album sound comparatively worse to the distorted tones, this doesn't impact on enjoyment but it's slightly noticeable.

Lyrically this album is excellent. The dark and adjective-laden lyrics in the music shines through strongly, and each song has a story to be told, with the carrying theme being about historical battles in the North and other recurring black metal themes. You almost become caught up in the spirit and atmosphere these lyrics provide. The vocals in this album are also much clearer than in other Immortal releases, much more pronounced, and this is a welcome feature.

Personally I find Antarctica and Beyond The North Waves to be the most impressive songs on the album. They have a brilliant use of natural sound effects, simple yet involving riffs, inspirational lyrics, and drum patterns which are fast paced and compliment the rest of the musical components perfectly. The pure atmosphere of each song on this album is primarily what gets it a 10 from me. I don't have any real complaints for this album, it's a truly great black metal release.

BGmetal
    Yes, this is truly a brilliant album. The riffs in One By One and In My Kingdom Cold are top notch. Every song is great. Amazing! It's one of the only albums that's never left my ipod.
    2Old2Cold
    This is a good album but I prefer Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism or Pure Holocaust.
    The Black Salts
    someone has to write a review about Immortal's newest album. Perhaps I shall carry the torch on this one.