The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh [DVD] review by Immortal

• Released: Aug 6, 2010
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Immortal: The Seventh Date Of Blashyrkh [DVD]

I always liked Immortal because they stud out from the vast majority of black metal bands, even in the early 90s they were different. Since they didn't follow the basic, generic pattern that many of the bands at time did Immortal didn't fall into the pitfall of groaning abut Satan and playing the same Burzum/Darkthrone-esque song over and over again. Though they have changed their sound drastically since Battles In The North, adding more death and thrash metal into the mix Immortal have stayed more true to the original idea of black metal more than most of their contemporaries.

Content — 9
The Live album was shot at Wacken in 2007 and it features the line up that will record All Shall Fall Abbath-guitar, vocals, Apollyon-bass and Horgh-drums. The set list is comprised mostly of band classics and it is well balanced between the faster and the slow songs. 01. Intro 02. The Sun No Longer Rises 03. Withstand the Fall of Time 04. Sons of Northern Darkness 05. Tyrants 06. One by One 07. Wrath From Above 08. Unholy Forces of Evil 09. Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss 10. At the Heart of Winter 11. Battles in the North 12. Blashyrk (Mighty Ravendark) The show, of course, is amazing. Abbath is a formidable stage presence, he runs, jumps, kicks around, breaths fire all while playing Immortal's signature riffs, the trio definitely has a great stage performance.

Production Quality — 8
The production is more than solid, Apollyon can be heard clearly and Horgh's drum set has bee given plenty of space in the mix. The guitar is, having in mind that Immortal has one, is thin and there are brief moments during a drum role when the guitar gets slightly covered. The camera is also very intuitive, it's focus is of course Abbath but it does move a lot giving a good view of the rest of the band.

When I think abut all the papers I had to sign and the money I had to give to get this delivered to me...But it was worth it. Immortal's first live album is a must have for fans such as myself and I highly recommend it to all Immortal fans out there, it's a great show from the first to the last track.

EpiExplorer
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: ...It has occured to me that this live thingy sounds SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL TRACKS @.@ just for the clarity.
    Yes,you can actually hear the bass on unsilent storms in the north abyss and the vocals on the first four albums were always in the back of the mix.Albums after ATHOW do have a solid production.