Speak For Yourself review by Imogen Heap

• Released: Sep 27, 2005
Imogen Heap: Speak For Yourself

I like the artist's sound, especially in this album. The music is strange, to say the least, but I really enjoy it. If you like some mellow music, some stuff suitable for searching your soul, looking into yourself, this album is for you. Some of the songs have wonderful bass lines, too. This is one of the best albums I've listened to in a long time. It's not particularly recent, 2005, but I felt I must mention it.

I've got to say, the lyrics for most of the songs were unethical, to say the least. Horrid is another word I could use, but I'd rather not. On the song "The Walk" it sounds like she is repeatedly blowing into the mic, which I hate. The only song with good lyrics is Headlock, and even it's lyrics are only mediocre. However, the sound and the lyrics flow together seamlessly, and leave you thinking you just listened to something great.

I liked the album, actually, despite the horrendous lyrics. The sound of it was great, I really enjoy listening to it. My personal favorite songs are Hide and Seek, Closing in, Clear the Area, and The Walk. The best song, in my opinion, is Hide and Seek though. It has a great sound, and it took me to a place I've never imagined I could be. It is great for making you feel cold, insignificant, and lonely, though. But despite all this, I'd have to rate this as one of my favorite songs ever. I love the sound of the music, and the way each song takes you to a different place within yourself. I hated the poor quality of the lyrics, but, considering the type of music, it shouldn't really have stupendous lyrics. If this album were stolen or lost, I would be frantic trying to find it again, even though I might have the songs on my computer by then.

mab0009081
    ouch! Lyrics a 3! that's really harsh. Although, I dont really pay much attention to her lyrics, her voice is so incredible that that's the only thing I really listen to. Good album.
    pwninator123
    its lyrics AND singing, at least a 5 for the perfect voice but i did like the lyrics, they were nice