Death Will Reign review by Impending Doom

• Released: Nov 5, 2013
Impending Doom: Death Will Reign

If you're familiar with Impending Doom then you'll be happy (or unhappy) to know that their new release "Death Will Reign" takes a lot of elements from their previous releases which makes for nice tasty slice of DOOM. The album produced and mixed by Will Putney (Thy Art Is Murder) which more or less guarantees that the album is going to be heavy as an actual lump of metal; the mix of the album is dirty and gritty, really raw which in this day and age is what we need in metal, for the perfect example in this we recommend checking out the song "Beyond the Grave." Everything from the tone of the guitars, pulsing bass, pounding drums and even the screamed vocals... it's all filthy, the album is just interesting to listen to and definitely recommended (though maybe not essential listening).

Regarding the lyrics, I felt that they were well written and feel that any listener can easily relate. On top of that there are some really good lines I feel stand out, of course in the style of singing it's hard to hear so you'll have to listen carefully or take my word for it - the album title track "Death Will Reign" features the line "I've seen the devils eyes / A messenger in disguise" which to me can leave the song open to interpretation, it's like they say about books... Once people have read it, the author is dead; the reader decides what it means and what to take from it, I feel this strongly applies with this song and the album and to top it off, the vocals sit nicely in the mix.

I feel that this album can only be compared to Impending Doom's previous work, most notably their first record purely because of how raw the mix is, a good representation of this is the title track as well as "Rip, Tear & Burn," "My Own Maker" and the closing "The Great Divine." And if I've not said it enough, you can probably gather that I love the album's production, just the way it's done compliments every single song and perfectly shows what the band are capable of. There's nothing to hate on the album really, you know what you're getting and this definitely sets the band up for more possibilities in terms of songwriting and playing in future releases. If it was lost/stolen, eventually I'd come round to buying it again. Enjoy!

coVal
    First time I hear about this band and it's actually better than I predicted by seeing Deathcore as a genre. The vocals sound original and refreshing in a way.
    EpiExplorer
    Ignore generic christcore, acquire currency.
    Wishort
    Alot of Christian bands are pitifully generic. These guys are not.
    SGofawesome
    They're pretty generic. At least their earlier stuff is. I could make countless points in their music that sounds like exact Whitechapel ripoffs. I can't speak for this album because I haven't listened to it full through. I still enjoy the band no matter how generic they may or may not be, though.
    Wishort
    It incorporates their older stuff, but it seems like they bring a new, groovier style to the table. Some parts sound Meshugguh-esque. I agree,The production was perfect. I love it!
    DistantUtopia
    for best effect, listen to it in an enclosed space, the claustrophobic noise is wonderful. enjoy, indeed.
    azrael667
    I wanted to give this a chance but about 10 seconds in there was a breakdown. edit: nevermind me, it's not a breakdown if it lasts until the song ends, is it?