The Serpent Servant review by Impending Doom

• Released: Mar 31, 2009
Impending Doom: The Serpent Servant

I describe Impending Doom as the "Whitechapel" of Christian metal. I am a deathcore fan myself and Whitechapel is one of my favorite deathcore bands, so that is good. This is definitely the most brutal Christian music I have ever heard. The album doesn't really have a specific theme. It mainly speaks of Christian morals and stuff like that.

I think the lyrics are pretty cool. They did a good job of making the lyrics Christian but still seem like a metal band would use them. Brooke is an incredible vocalist. The vocals are a big change from the vocals on ID's first album, Nailed.Dead.Risen., but I think it was for the better. Brooke says that he grew tired of his old screaming style, which was mostly inhaling. Brooke also wanted his vocals to be more distinguishable, which I totally understand because I couldn't understand much of what he was saying in Nailed.Dead.Risen.

I can relate this album to Whitechapel's second album This Is Exile. A lot of the riffs sound like something Whitechapel would use, but I wouldn't say any of them are ripping off Whitechapel. My favorite songs on this album are probably Welcome To Forever, Anything Goes, More Than Conquerors and When I Speak. The drums, vocals, and guitars are all excellent. If my copy of this album was stolen I wouldn't be surprised because this album is great!

death_unknown
    Slayer2 wrote: i really have a problem with this band. I actually saw them live and they stopped playing half way through the set because there singer was sick and they had the crowd sing it all. It was embarassing to watch really. I just think the idea of really brutal death metal with christian lyrics is really stupid. Its kinda like the whole unblack black metal genre, it just doesnt work. With shirts that say "hell should fear us all" on the back, its just silly and dumb. Just not my sorta thing i guess. But if you like it, kudos to you
    So whats your problem? A heavy death metal band in which the members are christians shouldnt be an issue. And since they are christians you should expect to see "hell should fear us all" on it. And you say its like "unblack black metal, it just doesnt work". Our you serious?! If its "unblack black metal" as you say, then its not black metal at all, Its just metal. I suggest you pick a better way to try to dumb down a band just bc they are a heavy christian band making music that falls within the same genre you may like that has some blasphemous bands in it, like suicide silence or carnifex. They are doing what they feel called to do. As christians, they are supposed to spread the word of God in any way and at all costs, thru songs or printing something on a shirt, and even when your sick if you feel the need or capability. Somebody has to point out your ignorance, so here it is.
    death_unknown
    As for the album, i thought it was better than Nailed.Dead.Risen. The vocals are way better. The overall sound is just better. Some of it sounded the same as other parts of songs though. It was a good listen with the exception of a few sluggish boring parts and it lacked in a few areas. Overall though it was descent. Im anxious to hear the new stuff theyre currently writing. They have one or two new members in the band since releasing The Serpent Servant. Hopefully some progression will show. Time will tell.