A Sense Of Purpose review by In Flames

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
In Flames: A Sense Of Purpose

The sound is much much better then that of Come Clarity. Not to suggest that Come Clarity was terrible, but my main grievances with that album is that it sounds too monotonous. Aside from the title song, you can't distinguish one song from the other. However, A Sense Of Purpose is huge improvement in terms of sounding less monotonous. The guitar work somewhat reflects much of their past works like Whoracle, Clayman, and the Jester Race. If I where to give an accurate description about this album, I would say it's a tie between Clayman and soundtrack to your escape. 01. Mirrors Truth - a great song with great melodic guitar background. It's fast, heavy, and catchy as hell. 02. Disconnected - I know many people don't like the lyrics in this song, but I will have to differ with them by saying this is one of the best in the album. Great song. 03. Sleepless Again - shows how Anders' voice can coexist with the melodies of the guitar. With the opening of a classic Jester Race type acoustic strums, this song takes of to be one of the highlights of the album. 04. Alias - easily the catchiest song of the whole damn album. However, around the middle song, In Flames takes you through a time journey from Sound Track to your Escape to the Jester Race with an amazing guitar strum. It's great, haunting, and catch(again). 05. Delight And Angers - now this song has awesome melodic plucks that lead into the chorus. It's great and one of my favorites of this album. 06. The Chosen Pessimist - here we go. I know many Many people have complained about Ander's voice. I always thought that In Flames somewhat reminicent to Metallica. I know, you are probably cringing, for the bands sound nothing like. However, they are like Metallica by the way they have changed throughout time. Like my feelings toward Metallica, I have zero problem with the direction In Flames has gone to. The Chosen Pessimist is a fine example of how great New In Flames. Many will complain about Ander's voice, but I think this is one of the highlights of his career in a long long time. Ander's and company has to be very proud for creating something different then they ever have before. I like to think of this song as the song that never existed in Come Clarity. Where not for this song, I feel A Sense of Purpose would sound monotonous. This song changes the mood of the album drastically from heavy to epic. Great song and great lyrics. 07. Drenched In Fear - possibly my favorite of the new album. The chorus is incredible and goes real well with the impecabble guitar work. Though it might be a bit short, this truely depicts what In Flames is best at, melodic metal. 08. March To The Shore - finally the closer of the song, ends of with a thrash-melodic type song, where Anders screams "You are a killer" to perfectly end a great album.

The Lyrics in my opinion are some of Anders' best in a long time. Again people mentioned their grievances they had with the song Disconnected. I, however, find them enjoyable and to be the best they have done since Clayman. The best chorus and lyrics would have to be The Chosen Pessimist.

If you are looking for a Jester Race Type album, this is not for you. However, if you are open to a new generation of great music by In Flames, I highly suggest you to listen to A Sense of Purpose. Yes the days of Epic Acoustic ballads where amazing, but, like Metallica, that time is long gone. That was the past and this is the present/future.

whatiaminstead
    personally, ive loved everything that In Flames has ever put out, though I do enjoy their old stuff more. But there are things about each album that i absolutely love and they have something for absolutely anyone. I think Purpose could have been more adventurous this time around (there was more intensity in Clarity) but its good to hear twin guitars again and im growing to love this album as well.
    The JesterHead
    JRowe3388 wrote: The JesterHead wrote: paperpl8 wrote: better than CC...but i like all of their stuff, i do personally like the old lyrics better. although the phrase in disconected isnt very good at all Yeah, I think those lines in Disconnected are the worst 10 seconds In Flames has ever created with their music... "I feel like shit, but at least I feel something" is really the worst shit they've ever written, although the rest of the song AND the album is really not bad... I don't see anything wrong with that line, really. At least he's not being emo and saying "I feel like shit, I wish I would die." He's saying he's glad to be alive even though he's in a tough spot That's what I hear anyway. Wonderful album!
    Stood there leaning to the city moon, casting silhouettes tall to grip her white rooms the black-clad voyeur in his black-clad masque in the serpentine sun of tragedy basked Stood there cursing at the soul-dead mass with their fabled illusions, the vain dreams that passed splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl alone, silent warrior in a fantasy world He cried for night / but night could not come so, swept in the shroud of misanthropia he went away and fed the empty galleries with the artifacts of the black rain sunken into the shadows with a dry, sardonic smile He made the footprints a part of his heart to rouse a sacred confrontation Stood there carving on the monument to lies digging of the Earth, making friends with the soil as the all-mother rises and bares her bleeding thighs he disappears into her cold, icy womb These are the kind of lyrics they used to have, and I wish they would have these lyrics again. It used to be art, fantasy, universal lyrics... It was powerful, beautiful and different. Today it's mostly Anders singing about himself, and I'm not sure that's what people want to hear...
    Illiad86
    I love these guys, got the flame symbol tattooed on my arm and everything, but after hearing this album, Im quite upset...wasnt worth 15 bucks thats for sure...Im just so upset that EVERY song on the album has a whine cry cry chorus...what happened to the days of Lunar Strain and The Jester Race?? Did they just wussify themselves for someone? Come on...they are worse than Dark Tranquillity now...
    JRowe3388
    paperpl8
    edit: what i meant to say was..."i like all of their lyrics, but the old ones were better."
    paperpl8
    The JesterHead
    GoWithTheFlow wrote: why cant heavy metal fans deal with change in a band. i can understand if the music starts to suck but when it changes and sounds fresh and new instead of predictable and overdone. lack of diversity is the downfall of music as we know it. Anyways i think im one of the few people who like almost all of in flames' music, new and old. of course they have some sucky stuff but so does everyone. yeah not going anywhere with this one. please dont ban me or unsheath your banhammers of banishment or whatever.
    Don't be ridiculous, man - everyone has a right to have his own opinion
    salsawords wrote: Generally, the old stuff is much better than the new stuff. Come Clarity got stale for me after a couple weeks, and it is a bit whiny. Hopefully this album has some good solos, they've been lacking them since Clayman. By the way, am I the only one who love Soundtrack?
    You're not the only one who loves STYE... The thing about that album is the fact that In Flames made a sort of an album with a "more approachable" sound that can attract the masses. That's why all the "tr00 fans" hated it, because all In Flames represented from Lunar Strain to Clayman was kinda gone here... Thankfully, Come Clarity and ASOP seem to put them back in track
    GoWithTheFlow
    salsawords
    The JesterHead
    Well, ASOP is kinda like a combinations of all their albums from Lunar Strain to Come Clarity, which I think is pretty cool. It can please everyone in a certain amount, and is (along with Come Clarity) definetly their best work since Clayman. The guys are going in the right direction after a few (very) wrong turns, and I'm anxious to see how it will all turn out in the future
    y-e-a-r-z-e-r-o
    ok ... i come to you all as kind of a noob... i was introdused to in flames with the album soundtrack to your escape and i liked it (mostly the quitet place, a touch of red and my sweet shadow) but then i got come clarity and i was obsessed with it for the longest time...i have scince gotten whoracle, clayman and colony (whoracle being my favorite) i was very excited to get the new in flames cd when i heard about it and i like it alot... Delight and Angers is my favorite .... the chosen pessimist WAS awsome ... and so was dissconected .... i guess im a big fan of anders' "whining", but if you want to bitch about whining go to fall out boy or hawthorne heights.... in flames is an amazing band...
    TheAmenCorner89
    I've listened to the album once, it hasn't fully sunk in yet but it seems to be on a similar level to Come Clarity, as in not as good as the 1st five albums but still heading upwards. I don't think any of their albums are bad but I prefer the older stylings. I would say the album would be alot better if Anders didn't whine so much and actually did a proper growl
    Flamedmapletop
    What is it with you guys and saying if you like the jester race you won't like this? I love all the In Flames albums. From Lunar strain to A sense of purpose. I have never been able to say what In Flames album is the best, and I probably never will however, I can say this is the best in years. the melodies are back! slightly heavier vocals, Anders voice has improved. Its all good