A Sense Of Purpose review by In Flames

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
In Flames: A Sense Of Purpose

Wow! This is awesome! In Flames have completely left their nasty sound that characterised their earlier albums and opted for a more mainstream style that draws comparison to forgotten legends such as Evanescence and Linkin Park! I always hated their early stuff, like Subterranean, but A Sense of Purpose is really great metal! They've taken out the boring melody and solos and down-tuned their guitars even more so they could sound even more metal! Obviously this shows that In Flames look up to Korn (my favourite band).

There are some brilliant clean vocals on this that would make Chester (of Linkin Park) himself she'd a tear. Every now and then there are some screams that represent the singer's troubled childhood and point to an even more extreme metal influence, like Slipknot or early Limp Bizkit. Unfortunately I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing so I'm not sure if they rapped or not. I hope they did! In Flames even cater for the less extreme among us by every now and then reminding you of bands such as Good Charlotte and Simple Plan with their vocals.

It is great that Linkin Park released their first album only 8 years ago and already has a legacy in the form of In Flames! It's not quite as extreme as bands like Slipknot or even the inventors of metal (Korn) but at least they got rid of their stupid melodies! Soon enough, A Sense of Purpose should break the top 40 and appear on the morning video hits TV show, I can't wait! Some said that metal died in around 2005 when Limp Bizkit sold out but In Flames have revived true metal with this amazing album!

boyan89
    um MHDrunk if your review is so bright why the **** did you give it a 1
    MHDrunk
    Because it's a joke, are you that retarded you thought I was serious?