Come Clarity Review

In Flames: Come Clarity
Release Date: Feb 7, 2006
Label: Ferret Records
Genres: Melodic Death Metal
The guitar, vocal and drumming departments are much improved, with more dark vocals, more thrashy riffs and a clean drum sound.
 Lyrics: 7.9
 8.7
 8.4
 2,087
Come Clarity Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on december 03, 2005

Sound: Ok I have been hearing all this buzz about In Flames and the were on Ozzfest this year and I saw a video from them and I really liked it so I decided to check out this album and damn was I impressed. This is true metal right here I've heard them called nu metal and that's far from what they are. The music reminds me of a more death metal Iron Maiden and the singer is amazing and I think his voice is really original. I haven't heard any of there other stuff yet but I'm going to check out there previouse albums definatly. This CD is the s--t. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit perfect with the music at some parts its hard to listen to just one think at a time because the music is so bad ass and then you have these amazing vocals on to of them and its just wow. He is definatly becoming one of my favorite vocalist fast, and the guitaring, bass, and drumming in the whole album is insane these guys are really talented at what they do. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't stopped listening to this album for about a week now it so good. There is one song called "Dead End" and it has a chick singing on it (I think it's the Lacuna Coil girl but I'm not sure) and it's so good they match eachothers voices and sing at the same time during the chorus and its just unbelivable. My other two favorite songs are "Come Clarity" which is a more slower song but has its fast parts with really nice melodic vocals, and then the song "Crawl Through Knives" has a really fast heavy verses and then it goes to this amazing melodic chorus that is incredable. There's not a damn thing I hate about this album I love everything about it, they are one of the best bands to come out of Sweeden in a long long time. If it were stolen/lost I would be traumatized and I would have nightmares untill I got another copy. // 10

Come Clarity Reviewed by: duncang, on february 15, 2006

Sound: Well, thank God for that. The guitar harmonies are back. Being basically their fanbase's favourite aspect of their music, In Flames were a bit foolish to lose them for their last album, Soundtrack To Your Escape. That wasn't a bad album in my opinion, but it was definitely nothing on their earlier, and far more metal work. This new album shows exactly how well In Flames have done to deal with this problem that struck them after STYE, they lost a lot of metalhead fans, but did gain a few more mainstream rock fans. What they have now done is come out with an album, which is a brilliant bland of (metalheads favourite) The Jester Race and (mainstreamers favourite) Soundtrack To Your Escape. They have returned to the great guitar harmonies of Bjorn Gelotte and Jesper Stromblad, and it has helped them no end. They still include the synths and other nu-metal properties in this album, but this is pretty much a melodic death metal album. I also noticed that Daniel Svenson has improved no end (Take This Life is a great example), despite already being one of my favourite drummers. Pete Iwers has also done a good job, using perfect metal tones on bass, but never really appearing from behind the guitars. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of In Flames have never been great in my opinion, still circling around the same themes of death and despair, although they use a lot of excellent words to catch the listener on to the song (Dead End, Vacuum). Anders Friden has been my favourite metal vocalist for some time, and he doesn't disappoint here. He has noticeably improved his singing voice from STYE (the title track, Come Clarity), and his growls are extremely well performed (Our Infinite Struggle). // 7

Overall Impression: 01. Take This Life - a monster is unleashed as soon as this disc starts spinning around, with a great drum lick in the verse, and a seamless integration from slower chorus to a fast-paced verse. Jesper and Bjorn shine in the chorus, using some great rhythm techniques over the top of a melody. 02. Leeches - demonic vocals put Anders above the top league he was already in here, bringing the end of the world on top of your head in a split second. It is brought into the chorus which is sang very well, but the bass still keeps the menacing feel going. 03. Reflect The Storm - this is more of an old-school metal song, tainted with some nu-metal drumming. Combine that with a brilliant guitar line, and some incredibly catchy lyrics, and you've got a great song on your hands. At about a minute, you are sucked right into the chorus, not ever wanting to leave it (this happens more than once on this album). The singing on this part doesn't sound like Anders, but it is in fact the same demon-like menace from Leeches. 04. Dead End - joining Anders on this track is popular Swedish singer Lisa Miskovsky, and she performs brilliantly at the beginning of the verse, to add a brilliant epic theme, which is pounded on by Friden, then they join together, and the results are brilliant. The harmonized solo takes you straight back to the Colony era, very reminiscent of 'Swim'. 05. Scream - a more classic In Flames riff is used, but it is shredded to pieces when the vocalist joins the fray, he launches an assault on your senses, and right here is probably where a lot of older fans will be drawn back to In Flames. A fist-in-the-air chorus and an offbeat solo add to this, and put together the heaviest song In Flames have made in quite a while. 06. Come Clarity - this title track opens up with a haunting acoustic guitar, and this continues throughout the verse, with the bass backing up the instrumentals, over Anders Friden's emotion-packed performance. Possibly the most sing-along worthy song a death metal band have ever made. This song will stick in your head, whether you like it or not. That is a guarantee. 07. Vacuum - another brilliant drumming performance from Daniel Svensson here. Although the verse attack is rather different from the chorus, the song has a similar feel flowing through it, which I think is down to Jesper Stromblad. Easily forgettable though. 08. Pacing Death's Trial - featuring the best riff of the album so far, this song has everything. Sweet drum licks, some insane axemanship, and the feel of every In Flames album to date. Really. If you are just getting into In Flames, this is the song to listen to. The most consistent vocals on the album, never faltering a note or overdoing a scream, Anders shines here. 09. Crawl Through Knives - another nod to the Colony/Whoracle times, this is a triumphant song, which is glowing with confidence. I cannot imagine the band playing this live without smiles on their faces, and looking at an audience showing their full appreciation by moshing from start to finish. They almost name-check themselves in it too, but after checking the booklet, the line goes If Flames rather than In Flames, shame. A great accomplishment for the band. Some great lyrics as well. 10. Versus Terminus - more classic guitar harmonies consistently enlightening you, with some brilliant lyrics over them too. One of the more insanely fast-paced drum beats Daniel has produced backs up this song. During the interlude, you can hear Lisa Miskovsky in your head, but she doesn't actually sing on it. Interesting. 11. Our Infinite Struggle - a good use of wah effects, and some all out headbanging moments, during which if you don't move at all, your insides are composed entirely of stone. The best lyrics on the album as well. 12. Vanishing Light - wow, this riff almost has a punk feel to it! Very interesting, genre-switching song, which has influences of good ol' classic rock and metal, death metal, punk and metalcore. Very varied song, but it still has that same In Flames sound to it, which is yet again down to the guitar harmonies. See? They should have had them all the time. 13. Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone - a very interesting song, exactly what influenced the newsreader sounds in the background (or at least that's what it sounds like) I do not know. The piano and electric xylophone are thrown together, haunting you. A badly distorted drum sound accompanies most of it as well, which in my opinion ruins it slightly. Synths come in later on, adding more and more, building up the anticipation of the actual song, which by the end of it you think will never come, but it actually does. A brilliant song comes in right at the end, with nu-metal instrumentals layered on by some high pitched growls, and some great singing too. Then that nightmare comes back to haunt you. Anders is whispering, and the xylophone has gone is it coming back this time? The answer is no, and you are left with an amazing feeling in your head, an illusion that suddenly In Flames are the most genius band in the world, and although they are nowhere near as musically intelligent as bands such as Tool and Pink Floyd, to give you that effect takes a damn good band. As I have said, Come Clarity is a brilliant album, kicking ass when it needs to, being emotional when it needs to, sparking massive sing-alongs when it needs to. // 10

Come Clarity Reviewed by: Jotunscope, on february 07, 2006

Sound: So I got hold of a promo of this album. My feelings are mixed, to say the least. The guitars are, at least to an extent, back. Bjorn and Jesper are at least during solos, approaching their old standards, even if they do all seem to be melody -> harmonised version -> Screeching AH harmonic with Zakk Wylde Vibrato -> Fast scale run -> Done. Nonetheless, the chugging chords are still ample and superior to STYE and R2R. Peter Iwers (bass) excells himself, surprisingly, and has finally given up root note almost entirely. Mr Svennson (drums) is blasting away annoyingly most of the time, but shows some real ability that has not been seen before. Sadly, some songs are just plain awful. It hurts me to say this, but they've actually gone a bit screamo in places. And as if this wasn't enough, they've unsurprisingly opted for faceless death metal in many situations where you would previously expected a powerful melody break, were you blissfully ignorant of their last two offerings. But all is not lost: there is a clear and profound improvement on Come Clarity. Melodies are back and many songs feature tour de forces of melodic ideallism (see Pacing Death's Trail's intro theme, and solo). In fact, as you listen to the album an improvement becomes more visible. "Crawl Through Knives" has a intro riff which could contend with the best of their pit-igniting riffs. It is not alone, gladly. There is definitely something here for those who liked STYE though, (see Versus Terminus for starters, then wind back and let the album roll), as well as at least meat for fans of the older In Flames. It is also clear that the band have been listening to their contempories, when they serve up the first part of the Arch Enemyesque Vanishing Light. The final track is an enigma. It begins with piano triads in the style of someone as mainstream as Coldplay, accompanied by samples and odd keyboard instrumentation. The melody clearly began in a similar way to many of In Flames - Whoracle's themes; the two guitar players sat down and played an improvised classical-style folk song on accoustic guitars, and then revised it to acheive a new effect. However, as it ends I find my self hoping my promo is damaged, since it just goes on for three minutes, hardly changing, before stopping abruptly. // 8

Lyrics: Anders' singing ranges from Johnathan Davis style speach to his own brand of blood-curdling roar. It is noteworthy that the balance it struck excellently on the album. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this album is an improvement, and I hope it represents a swing which will continue. It is evidence that they are still as good as they used to be, but are simply having a bit of a rethink which is either a mistake, or is having massive teething issues. It's worth listening to, even if I did make a lot of use of my fast forward/skip button. I'd recommend this to any existing In Flames fan, but I think it's a bit esoteric for mainstream. Time will tell, I guess, but the more I listen to this CD, the more impressed I am with In Flames' musical progression. // 8

Come Clarity Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2006

Sound: Ok, we all know In Flames' original sound and how they changed for STYE (I did not think this was really a terrible thing) and people didn't like it. Well if you think of it on a scale (10 being there original and 1 being STYE) this is definatley a 5. It has the best of both worlds. They have more harmonized guitar riffs, but still retain the sound from STYE and the technoish synth vibes that were constant in STYE. There are a few more solos on this, unlike STYE. And ofcourse you have the trademark Friden choruses which I love oh so much. Overall I like it. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before this is there in between album, it's like they are trying to reclaim what they once had, and it's not a bad shot. I enjoy this album quite a bit. Some faveorite songs of mine from this are Dead End. It has a guest female vocalist which I thought was cool, I'm a big fan of female vox. Theres a song called Scream on here as well, which is kind of anthem-esque, which isn't bad. Crawl Through Knives is a pretty awesome song as well, along with Pacing Deaths' Trail. Oh and how could I forget the December Flower re-make (just kidding ofcourse). Overall like I said before I like it. // 10

Come Clarity Reviewed by: Metallica12_12, on february 27, 2006

Sound: Well let me start by saying I am not someone who just picked up his first In Flames album. I love In Flames but have been disapointed but both SoundTrack and R2R so I was kinda hesitant to pick up this album. A friend of mine got me to get it, he just got into In Flames so he was all happy te get it. I got the Limited Edition, comes with DVD and poster as well a cd coarse. The DVD acculy suprized me, it is shot in "The Pit" during the recoding sessions, black and white but it is acculy really good. I am not going to lie and say that In Flames is back or even taht they have gone bak to their old sound. Andres has changed his style, the guitar work though had really stepped up compaired to STE or R2R so I am acculy kinda happy that I got it. The poster has, on one side, a bunch of strange drawings, much like the cover but only in black and white, with red blood, no In Flames has not gone emo. It allso has all the lyrics written by hand on it. The other side is the cover just extended. Peter's bass playing has really stepped up I was accualy really suprized. Though some people like to complain about the drumming I have always it so it is just as good. This is a step up, many songs have a good mix of death metal with an almost power metal guitar harmony, meaing some very serious riffage vocals do come over top of some of the more chugging parts sounds great on some songs. Over all this album is though not old In Flames style never the less a much improved In Flames. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well dark like all In Flames but not as screamed or growled, has harmonies as well as acual singing, not the edge of In Flames from say Whoricle but still it isn't bad, kinda neat to have a guest female voice. Lisa Miskovsky accually does compliment Andres still not my favourite song but Dead End isn't bad. The Death Metal vocals that I loved are gone sadly but still vocals are ok. // 7

Overall Impression: Well yes it does compare to and beat 2 In Flames album R2R and STE, however it does not stand up to, say The Jesters Race or Whoricle still over all I think there is some hope for In Flames. Well Take This Life is a good example of the good new sound of In Flames. I sort of like the first 2 minutes of Reflect The Storm but then its get realy annoying and nu-metal, the title track, Come Clarity is newer style but I do like it, it is kinda of a follow up to Evil In a Closet, but has accualy acoustic guitar on it, it does have Emo-ish lyrics sadly though. Our Infinite Struggle is ok kinsa unique in that it does contain a Blues inspired lead though it is a bit repetative. Over all In Flames has change alot, as do most Metal bands however 3/4 of the band is back on track, Andres just need a swift kick in the ass and stop saying "You should realize, it hurts!" In Flames has done what very few other metal bands have managed, that is that they have not lost themselves totally, they will be better in the next album. It's not that I think they should replace Andres just that he need to realize no one want emo-metal. "In Flames We Trust - the band of the free and the home of the brave." // 9

Come Clarity Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 21, 2006

Sound: One of my friends told me about this band and ever since I found out about them I have liked this band ever since I found at about them. Bjrn Gelotte and Jesper Strmblad are the guitarists for this band and I love everything they do, Jesper's leads are amazing and the solos he does on this album are absolutely insane and just incredible. On the other hand Bjrn does such an amazing job on backing up Jesper when Jesper is doing the lead guitar parts in the songs, they are an awesome combo and skilled at what they do. Peter is an awesome bass player and when I am listening to the album I can hear the bass really clearly and I'll tell you one thing Peter is skilled at bass, and he backs up the guitars really well. The drums on this album amazed and Daniel does such a good job on them and when he is pounding the shit out of those things it's all worthwhile and he backs up the instrumesnts and the singing very nicely along with every other instrument. // 10

Lyrics: Anders is a really talented songwriter and Bjrn helped him out when he was writing the lyrics and both of them are a really good combo. Anders screaming on this album is awesome and you can actually understand what the guy is saying and his singing voice is so melodic and sometimes it can be really deep emotion songs such Come Clarity, or it can be the hardcore shit where he screams his lungs out Crawl Through Knives which is an awesome song by the way and one of my favourites. The lyrics also fall very smoothly with the song and it is really cool. // 10

Overall Impression: Well hell no this album can't compare to any other albums. In Flames are a melodic death metal band and no band can be compared to them, because they are just awesome and I haven't heard an album that sounds like this or almost like this. The most impressive songs on this album would have to be Crawl Through Knives, Come Clarity, Dead End, Scream, Reflect The Storm and Leeches would have to be my absolute favourite tracks on this creative masterpiece. All the other songs are good too but thouse are the best on the album. I love everything about this album and I am happy that this band has guitar solos because man where have the solos gone these years with such pussy music such as Simple Plan and other poppy shit. So yah these guys really impressed and the 1st time I heard this album I was like wow I gotta get more and I will get more that I promise. If it were stolen/lost I will defenitely buy this album again because it is a masterpiece. So I would recommend this album to anyone who is willing to try In Flames guaranteed you will not be disappointed and any metal head out there. // 10

Come Clarity Reviewed by: read2906, on april 15, 2006

Sound: This is a return to the old In Flames style that many fans are used to, however it still has touches of recent forays into melodic territory. However, what struck me the most about this album is the intensity of the performances. In Flames are known primarily for their harmonised leads, however more often than not on 'Come Clarity' they take a more death/thrash appraoch to the guitars in particular. A nice detour from the norm for these metallers. What also struck me about this cd is the quality of the melodic breaks, mainly in the choruses. Often the melodic parts can seem forced and contrived on previous outings, but they really suited the songs, fitting in well with the overall structures (e.g. listen to the chorus in Take This Life). // 8

Lyrics: As with most In Flames albums, lyrics are mostly subservient to the flamboyant guitar work. However, on this occasion, the lyrics have improved considerably, and no longer seem like random words strung together. Anders Friden's lyrics reflect on consumer culture, growing older and various other real world issues, which is a nice break from the traditional death metal lyric book. The most noticable factor of these tunes however is the marked improvement in Fridens vocals. While his death bellow has always been top notch, sometimes it strayed into self-parody and his melodic singing was never really up to scratch. This time around, both factors have improved considerably. His death scream is nice and clear and anle to show emotion, and his clean vox sound like a professional singer. Overall this is the best he's sounded on an In Flames record to date. // 8

Overall Impression: A more intense outing from the Flames boys, and possibly one of their finest moments to date. Take This Life, Leeches and Come Clarity are highlights, but the album really delivers on all fronts. If you're into death/thrash/gothenburg/melodic metal, get this: you will not be disappointed. // 8

Come Clarity Reviewed by: mr_paprazzi, on april 15, 2006

Sound: This album sounds great. A brilliant variation, each song sounds totally different, but of course you just know its In Flames. One of their many albums, it sounds different to all the others. My favourite album from In Flames so far, not all the songs on one of their other albums, Whoracle, are that amazing, this album is full of them. Great recording sound. I like the other voice singing in Dead End. Brilliant album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to match the band as they are. They go well with the song and bring out the emotion of the song. And in this album we can hear most of what they are saying. A unique voice, brilliant screamer and singer. As I mentioned the female's voice in Dead End, also very good. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album altogether, my favourite In Flames album. Great music to listen to when in any mood. Best songs are Take this life, Dead End, Scream, Come Clarity, Crawl Through Knives. // 9

Come Clarity Reviewed by: sketchy z, on june 07, 2006

Sound: Okay so I orderd the CD a few weeks ago and it finally came sunday! I was stoked to have but I had also bought Cioty And Colour's CD so I hadnt really listend to Come Clarity. But Today we were watching some stupid movie in religion class so I popped CC in and gave it a chance! The album starts off with Take this life, which is without a doubt the best song on the album. Quick guitar riffs and some crazy double bass show that In flames hasnt lost their metal at all! The only complaint in the sound department is that I dont think they were as creative as they could have been with this CD. I love it when artists take chances but I think they held some creatback and played this album safe. 8 because it still sounded awesome. // 8

Lyrics: Anders does something with his lyrics that I absolutly hate. They repeat verses. If a band repeats a chorus I'm okay with that its a pretty general way to write music, but when they repeat verses I end up skipping the track. I find myself saying "I've already heard that part of the song why the hell would I wann hear it twice in 2 minutes." Many of the elite song writers such as Drew Speziale (Circle Takes The Square) and Conner Oberst (Bright Eyes) Do not repeat verses or even choruses lyrically. However, of what Andres does write is pure genius and its a shame he struggles to write more because it makes me feel like the track is incomplete. He is a talented lyricist though and I hope he dominates the metal scene for many years. 6 because the tracks feel unfinished and incomplete. // 6

Overall Impression: Because of their good instrumentals and unique vocal abilities it's hard to compare these guys to anyone else. They did a good job on the album and my favorite songs on the album were, take this life, our infinite struggle, come clarity. But they are all pretty good. To me overall impression means how long will this CD last in my CD player, and I dont kow not very long because the lyrics let me down a lot and I think I will get bored of this album very quikly. In the end, they played it too safe, instrumentally and lyrically and need to be more creative in their next album if they want me to keep buying their CDs. // 6

Come Clarity Reviewed by: 555666, on july 14, 2006

Sound: Thsi is the first In Flames album I've ever owned. But I wasn't dissappointed. Their sound is different from the older stuff however (Embody The Invisible). There's more actual singing on this than there is on some of thier older stuff. The drums is what I really liked on this album. Especially on Take This Life and Vacuum. The Guitars on this album are amazing. It has this real steady feel but has this sort of whimsicle effect, it sounds really good. Anders does yet again does an excellent job of squealing, and "Talk" singing. LAso, this album seems to have a very "Uplifting" effect on you when you listen to it, kind of difficult to explain unless you've listened to it though. All of the songs on this album have a of making you sing along to he's singing, which makes this album very good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are excellent. They fit the music so well, and yet find way to distant itself from everything and make the music sound like a discussion. Anders isn't the best singer I've heard, but then again, neither was Johnny Cash. Anders has this powerful way of getting the song to you, whether he's singing clean, or screaming his lungs out. // 10

Overall Impression: This so far is my favorite album of all time. If I lost this album I would first have a fit and then find a way to get a new one. I highly recommend this to anyone, metal head or not, cause it has factors for everyone. But mainly only metal heads. // 7

Come Clarity Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2006

Sound: In Flames were once a truly briliant band, I liked Reroute and Soundtrack was good but nothing they have ever done will ever match upto their debut album 'Lunar Strain' and Come Clarity is no exception. The guitars as usual are heavily distorted with above average playing, the solos are few and far between and never very long or particularily good. VERY occasionaly an acoustic guitar will be played but it just doesnt't seem to go very well with the electric guitars. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics as usual are weird and not really about anything just like the previous albums. Anders (the vocalist) is a great growler and quite good at normal singing but with this new album he's doing something new, yes ladies and gentlemen he's started doing whiney emo vocals, I couldnt believe it when I heard it, emo and In Flames don't mix, Anders vocals have absolutley ruinded this album! There are female vocals on one track which are pretty cool but can't redeem this terrible piece of work. // 1

Overall Impression: This is without a doubt the worst IF album they have ever made, I find it annoying that IF are getting rich and famous with rubbish like this, if you want real metal listen to Wintersun, Thunderstone, Kataklysm or 3 inches of blood and not the Numetal piece of crap that is Come Clarity. If it were stolen I wouldn't mind, I have it on my hard-drive and I'm never gonna listen to it again anyway. // 1

Come Clarity Reviewed by: castoo, on june 28, 2008

Sound: It's a good CD, let us just start there. I bought it and by looking at the titles it seems a bit emo. I started listening to it, and was blown away. Take this life starts off the album with fast guitar, a great ending and good singing. The lyrics are a bit darker than I feel like singing along too. Leeches is a sociopolitical song, and it's great, it's heavier than their old stuff (a turn in the metalcore direction), and they've matured in sound and in singing. // 9

Lyrics: A lot of improvement in the singing department. I think this is the best singing from Anders (or at least at the top). Lyrically, it's also the best (imo, best ever, I think Anders is getting the hang of the whole speaking english idea). In just about every song, there's a great line. 01. Take This Life - great singing, goes from light to soft, the lyrics are a bit emo, I'm not such a big fan of that. The best line is "The thoughts, burn a hole in my heart." 02. Leeches - Anders slurs a bit in this song, making him a bit hard to understand. It speaks against religion/social structure and talks about speaking for yourself (it's vague enough that most people can agree with it, or at least the points that it raises) "how does it feel to be alive" is a sarcastic reference to how some people live their lives in these structures. 03. Reflect The Storm - this is a bittersweet song, and talks about being open to the good and the bad and how during his problems he finds out who he really is. It also encourages people to try (and try again) in their lives, restarting when necessary "Take out the trash and burn it." 04. Dead End - this is a downer song. Good use of a girl's voice. It has a great reference to war "What decides when you've lost the war? When the first man falls or when they've erased it all?" It has the same theme as egonomic (that things are getting worse). The songs best line probably is "what will it take for us to realize, the more we provoke, winter will come twice." 05. Scream - probably my least favorite, chorus goes "you scream, we scream" (we all scream for ice cream). Has a decent theme, I just don't like how its presented, best line is "when we build up walls around us, we end up in a mess." 06. Come Clarity - not my favorite song, it's about seeking hope. Anders has computer playing with his voice, sounds good. However, it pales compared to dawn of a new day or metaphor. Not sure why this song ended up as the first single. 07. Vacuum - this baby is great. It's great. The lyrics are excellent and Anders singing is really compelling. It speaks against society and how we are so interested in news for the sake of news (as opposed to the actual person/problem). It also calls for people to step away from the TV "listen in silence, hear her voice, turn off the tv, exploding sympathy, the weatherman our trust our punctual company." talking about our reliance on the scheduled shows. 08. Pacing Death's Trail - the music and the lyrics and the singing just don't go together. Especially in the chorus "I surrender to nothing, so run as far as you can, I'm trying to hold onto what I believe in, but my heart is in a coma." It just trying flow together well. Not my favorite as far as the singing and lyrics go. 09. Crawl Through Knives - great lyrics, I wish the singing during the chorus was more audible "if you could be the things I need, I'd crawl through at the rate of an inch per year." 10. Versus Terminus - this song just questions how important life is. The singing is good, the lyrics follow the same structure, my favorite part is "when all the laughter dies, we'll see all the nothingness and realize, but does it matter then when all the laughter dies?" 11. Our Infinite Struggle - I like the singing, Anders uses a different scream in this CD than other (I like the changes), one line is rather touching "you should realize that it burns in me too." 12. Vanishing Light - this song some coming calamity, and says that people need to know what they believe "learn your ways, and find that your ready, this is a race, to no man's land with no certain direction." 13. Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone - this is a new voice of Anders, and a complete filler song. It says "you make me understand the evil that all men do." There's about 30 seconds of weird screaming and the rest is instrumental. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great In Flames album, and my favorite. It's a lot more metalcore, but it's the best around. The only complaint I have is that it's short, I loved how R2R was a 14 track beast, where as this isn't quite as long. Your bedtime story is scaring everyone is a rip off of illusions by AILD (compare them, it's such a rip off). I love the cd, the only songs I don't like (since there's so few) are scream and come clarity, scream just isn't that good and come clarity is kinda weak for an in flames acoustic. It's a great CD, everyone should buy it and the cover art is the best for In Flames. // 10

Come Clarity Reviewed by: UpInFlames89, on september 07, 2010

Sound: When In Flames started with The Jester's Race in 93 they were hailed as potentially the new Iron Maiden. But with promise, comes expectation; which is something they have always hinted at fulfilling on previous albums, but never fully grasped. In Come Clarity, they achieve a perfect blend of youthful energy and experience, harmonized guitars and pulsating thrash riffs, driving double-kick and voracious vocals that leaves you feeling as though you have been in a heavyweight fight. And you can't wait to do it all again. The guitar work is simply superb. Interwoven harmonies played blindingly fast, seductively slow and every thing in between gives you the feeling that you are listening to six guitarists. In truth, what you are listening to are two masters at the peak of their abilities. In Flames produced it themselves in their new studio and it shows. Each member has their own defined sound without overshadowing one another; even the Bass guitar, which is a rare thing in music these days. // 10

Lyrics: Anders Friden has always been regarded as one of the best metal vocalists going around. With the work he has produced on this album, he should be regarded as the best. There is no note he can't hit, whether it be clean or screamed vocals. Also the addition of Lisa Miskovsky on Dead End' provides an amazing duet that is too rarely seen in metal. Due to the language barrier (they're Swedish) lyrics were never a strength of Anders' early on. But with each record, he has improved and this is no exception. Tracks Take This Life', Our Infinite Struggle' and Come Clarity' deal with love and loss. "I scream to hide that I'm lonely, the echo calls my name". Anders also addresses more worldly issues on Dead End' (war), Versus Terminus' (the afterlife), Vanishing Light' (religion) and the particularly excellent Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone' (news and propaganda). Your bedtime story is scaring everyone, but you make me understand the evil that men do. There are some average songs that lower the bar and are remissive of the older days. While Leeches' and Scream' are somewhat simple; this is still an extremely impressive lyrical effort from a band for which English is a second language. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a near perfect Melodic Death Metal album. It has emotion, power, technical aggression and is as heavy as a ten-tonne hammer. Daniel Svensson on the drums underlines his control of the instrument. His feet are on fire with the speed and sound of his double-kick complemented beautifully with hands that are undoubtedly possessed. If he made a deal with the Devil, then he got the better of it. Bjorn and Jesper on the guitars are simply incandescent; they provide the melodies and driving sound that propels the album from greatness to almost incomparable with albums of the genre. Anders' vocals put the finishing touches on the tracks, adding his trademark emotionality to the vocals, while not diminishing his ability to pulverize your ears with anger and hostility when needed. All up, if you ever had doubts about In Flames constructing the album that their reputation warranted, lay those doubts to bed. Come Clarity' meets every expectation, and then exceeds them. By a very, very, long way. // 10

Comments