Reroute To Remain review by In Flames

• Released: Sep 3, 2002
In Flames: Reroute To Remain

This is the first recording of In Flames that's comparable to most mainstream acts. It's the best CD by In Flames ever with 14 tracks. It's the first CD I bought (I now have them all), and it's still my favorite. There is less keyboard than STYE, but it still manages to be very catchy. Ander's first CD with decent vocals.

Honestly, Lunar Strain and TJR were both crap lyrics. Whoracle had the worst lyrics, but it wasn't written by anyone in In Flames. Clayman wasn't so hot imo, pinball map and suburban were the only good lyrics. STYE was personal lyrics, and CC was a combo of social/personal lyrics, R2R is a blend of social/personal/quasi-religious songs and it's good. Ander's voice is the best yet and IMO- he only did good on STYE CC and R2R. R2R features a scream not as harsh as CC but more controlled than any earlier work. It doesn't have the STYE mumbling or any of the Colony whispers, which is nice. The lyrics are the last of the poetic ones by In Flames (STYE is basically a drunken rant, and CC is upfront, there's very little interpertation needed). 01. Reroute To Remain - this song is about trying and overcoming obstacles, co-written with some chick I think 02. System - this song has some great lines 'I hate it when you throw my thoughts against the wall', 'all that I know is that my life has become such was for you'. Uses a harsh voice and at the last line of the song has almost a melodic coo, it's very good. 03. Drifter - this is a love song? 'The words I hear are of scrambled letters, never let me know, I was alright'. Anders shines in the chorus, the lyrics are a bit open ended. 04. Trigger - great song, it's about how people find their identity find their computers and how it's not such a good thing. 'What's my name I haven't checked it today', 'I'm trying to seperate what's real'. I love it. 05. Cloud Connected - against people who keep their head in the sand. No clue what the phrase cloud connected means, but oh well. Anders uses a nasty little whisper similar to STYE (oddly enough this song feels like it could really be on STYE due to the heavy keyboard use) Also seems to be against society 'should I kill or should I be left behind?' and then this really stupid line 'sick and tired of your complaints', not sure how you can complain about people complaining, bleh oh well. 06. Transparent - good song emphasizes how people can change (and how they need to). 07. Dawn Of A New Day - very hopeful, very good, I dislike Ander's voice outside of the chorus. 08. Egonomic - again uses the harsh voice found on system, very fast paced song, lyrics are against society/government and possibly socialism in particular 'they douse the fires with gasoline', or it could simply mean governments do the wrong thing, these lyrics are not straight forward. 09. Minus - this song was also co-written with the girl who worked on the song R2R, Anders shines on the chorus, and the song seems to talk about how children are creative and encourages that 'I love that lulluby', 'the world inside is yours tonight' and talks about how dreamlands can be created. 10. Dismiss The Cynics - a semi-love song 'you and me, that's all we need' and continuing despite the cynics and self-doubt. 11. Free Fall - 'This is the free-fall' w/e that means, not my favorite vocal exhibition. 12. Dark Signs - darkest lyrics so far and has a harsh (but clear) voice on this song strangled and abused, it's a good song. 13. Metaphor - great lyrics, bit on the downside, seems to be a plea to someone to let the past go. 14. Black And White - great closer for the CD, quasi-religious, tries to assure people of salvation by saying no ones a saint (some parts I agree with some parts I don't, but great none the less).

It's heavy enough for me to like it but not so light that it can just be set as background music. 01. Reroute To Remain - big intro with keyboards, that's really the best part. 2. System - very heavy and fast song, with a slower chorus- very very good. Has best solo on the CD. 3. Drifter - my favorite, but I know it's not the best, bit slower. 4. Trigger - no surprise that this song got it's own EP, has another great solo. Trigger in lyrics in everything is great, though it took me a while to like. 05. Cloud Connected - great keyboards and has a riff similar to the intro to colony/crawl through knives, it's friggin great, first song I heard from In Flames. 6. Transparent - the beginning sound is not so hot and the singing on parts of the chorus is not audible, but a great song anyway. 07. Dawn Of A New Day - best acoustic of In Flames? Has a great continous beat and a very uplifting chorus. I really like this song. 08. Egonomic - fast drums lead the song on, and it's a bit short, but I still like it. 09. Minus - this song is really melodic, and even has an acoustic guitar in the chorus, one of the better songs of the album (though I think all of them are really good). 10. Dismiss The Cynics - has a great intro with drums and a guitar rift. 11. Free Fall - has cheesy keyboard intro that falls in the rift of the chorus, it's alright. 12. Dark Signs - dark song, almost reminiscent of horrible (think dialogue with the stars). 13. Metaphor - another great acoustic with a mandolin, it's a great song and just seems to roll on. 14. Black And White - starts with almost a static and then just starts blasting in the ears, excellent closer. The CD art is great behind CC, it's semi-religious with blank faces and people wandering, there are stars and typical celestial references. One of them has on figure pointing a figure at almost a shadowfigure, and another features the snake from the garden etc. It's great and I would buy it again and again, it's great.

The JesterHead
    roarinflames
    The JesterHead wrote: ... Um... How many In Flames albums HAVE you guys heard??? It's literally blasphemy to call this album the best, I actually think R2R and STYE were the biggest disappointments... And I'm not one of those "Pure True Metalheads", it's my honest opinion... I've heard each and every album a lot of times, and R2R was very "unfriendly" for me to listen... Of course, there are great songs, but there's just too much simplicity in it expressed in the wrong way... The older stuff is a lot easier to listen to... A lot...
    i hope you arent talking about lunar strain. that album was so jumbled together it didnt even have any specific idea it was going for. this album is one of my favorites but i personally love colony the most
    The JesterHead
    Yes, as a matter of fact I AM talking about Lunar Strain and other old albums. You don't like it because you're obviously into mainstream music (I may be wrong), but Lunar Strain was one of the most inspired albums by In Flames. They never had a specific idea, a specific aim or subject except for Whoracle, which was a concept album with a very specific subject and a theme progressing through the songs. Their lyrics were fantasy and astrology, and that was very cool in a way... The new stuff is about internal struggles, and it seems to me that In Flames are aiming for a different crowd now. It used to be about the world, about how it's wrong and how we should fix it... It was also about art, astrology and fantasy... But today it's about how Anders wants to cut himself because he's depressed - and I don't really appreciate that. They unfortunately lost the inspiration a long time ago, and simply lost interest for those things which manifests in their new music.
    castoo
    wow i could have spell checked my review lol, shouldn't be typing when i'm high lol