Reroute To Remain review by In Flames

• Released: Sep 3, 2002
In Flames: Reroute To Remain

In my opinion, Reroute to Remain is where In Flames starts "over". From this album and out, they've written all their best music. These are songs that people remember, and I think that it's from here that In Flames startet their real journey. Now, I know that many die-hard fans, that's been loving the band since they're first Record would disagreed, but In Flames has Changed so much since the begining, and I think it's important to look at the bigger picture. Also, IF sais themselves that this album is "Modern and more Mature", and has helped the band reach goals thought unreachable. A typical thing from In Flames(and many others)though, is that even though many of the songs are good, there's also some that, really doesn't aproove to the rest. Now, this can also be due to my own taste in music, and of In Flames themselves, so I won't go any further. However, they have many songs that really get your atention, and makes you(want to sing/scream along. Reroute to remain is a brilliant song, and an excelent way to start an album. Any other song as Track 1, would probably destroy the whole experience of the album. System was kinda, right-on-slightly-too-hard-for-me kinda song. And then the first calm part came in, and I started to listen more to it. And when the Chorus came, I was sold. Very, very catchy, with nice background, and simple, heavy rythms with Anders' awesome clean vocals. And the break thingy is pretty awesome. And with the keyboard solo on top makes this song complete, even thoug In Flames and keyboard solos really don't match good together, this one is really cool. Drifter is not really my taste, I think that IF could do a little better with this one. But there is a really catchy riff, but it doesn't last long enough to really enjoy the rest of the song. Trigger is a pretty cool song, but it's easy to dislike it if you've heard it to often in short time. The Chorus is awesome, but most of the rest is kinda Clich. Not boring, but you'll feel like you've heard the song before, and by that I mean of course that it can resemble, or remind you of older and other IF songs. Cloud Connected is one of the best songs IF has ever written, no question about it. It's heavy, catchy, and really easy to digg. I havn't grown tierd of, even though it's long passed 5 years since I heard it the first time. Nothing more to tell! Transparent was one of the songs I was most sceptical too. The die-hard intro with an out of rythm high-hat, going into total f--kin' mayhem made me question the song. But in time, it's very easy too like. Even though it starts too hard than early IF, it get's "back on track" fast enough to digg the rest of the tune. Dawn Of A New Day is the first of 2 ballads on the album. It's a really nice tune, and a lot of atmosphere. However, I think it becomes a little too much. I wish they didn't use so much effects, and played it a little more "clean", as they do once in the middle of the song. In my opinion, it'd be the spot over the "I". Egonomic is slightly to fast too my taste, or, to put it in an other way. I think IF should keep the heavy riffs, and keep down the tempo. When IF makes fast songs, such as this, they should really consider they're riffs. The After-Chorus Riff is a great example. But it's a really cool song all in all. Minus' intro is too "cordy", and the later riffs is not exactly for my taste, but the chorus is really cool, and the later riffs will blow your mind! Dismiss the Cynics's is neither of my taste, and the melody comin' in is too short. If it was twice as long, I think I'd aproove to the entire song, at least like it more. But this song also has the only Chorus that I DON'T like, I don't know why. I think it's because it's too different from the others. The Calm part however, is where you really get too rest your ears. I just wish they'd put it earier on the album. Free Fall could also be too cordy, but I feel like it doesn't matter the slightest bit, 'cause it's really cool, and has a nice String"melody" in the background. Also, I like the way they used the Music Box in the intro and in the middle of the song. All in all, this song is one of the catchiest on the album, and almost reminds one of Only For the Weak. Dark Signs' intro is one that you'll feel like you've heard before, so it automaticly feels kinda boring. But the verse and the chorus totaly changes the tune, and get's exstremily cool. Metaphor, feels like it isn't IF. The mellow tones and the vocals just don't sound like the way you want IF to sound. But the later guitarmelody is definetly worth checking out, and deserve a real listen. Also the "break", or whatever it is, is really chill, and almost makes you want to sleep to just that part, stuck on repeat. A Beautifull song, but not really IF in my opinion. Black and White is the last track on the Album, and has one of the heaviest riffs, specialy for an intro. And the Chorus is probably one of the coolest they have. Yet an other great song from IF. The Music-style in general is Gothenburg-metal, or Melodic-Death-Metal, if you like. But some songs, and some parts are so heavy, that you might as well call it "real"-heavy-metal. The reason for the "real", is 'cause most of the (now ancient) old heavy metal bands weren't too heavy at all. One of the cool thing about IF, is that you can always find a song, that almost everybody can listen too, and enjoy at the same time, and I think that even though it's not the same song for all, it's one on each Album.

This Album offers only 2 songs that passes 4 minutes, and one that's even shorter than 3, so the amount off lyrics are minimal. Wich is a good thing, if you have a hard time memorizing it. However, with such short songs, I really don't feel like they get the entire meaning, or story, in the song, just small parts of it. Also, in some songs, it's kinda hard to get the real point of what they're trying to tell us. So, I'll spare you an explanation, 'cause I really don't think I get the point in their songs, so I might be wrong and make a fool out of myself. However, Anders Frieden is a very skilled singer, and nails every single track to perfection. No one else in the world could make a better voice to IF.

Not many of the songs compare to earllier albums, though you can still hear it's IF. Of course, some have a small resemblance, but it's still a unike pice off art. A small list of songs that is my favourite: Reroute to Remain Trigger Cloud Connected Dawn of a New Day Egonomic & Free Fall. These are the ones I think are the best songs on the album. In one way or an other, these songs have that little thing that makes the whole album worth enjoying. I love the heavy riffs, the melodies, and the Vocals just to make it short. The way they play all together is just amazing and wonderfull, and becomes an oragsm to your ears. I can easily say, that there is nothing that I hate about this album, just like a litte less than love. It's a fantastic album, and even though I collect CDs, if I'd loose this one, I would without a doubt buy it again!

JY-Rasputin
    Why did the first reviewer shat all over old in flames? I mean I love the old in flames (excluding lunar strain which issn't bad but just doesn't really interest me). Actually apart from come clarity and A sense of purpose (which I both like aswell) this might be there worst album. I own it, and it's my only IF cd but it's not my favourate. I love it sure, I love everything in flames ever touched but My favourates are Sountrack and clayman, the composition is just brilliant. Also the lyrics from earlier albums we're great aswell though this album has a very dark concept which is maybe there best concept ever. I hope they come with a new release soon :]
    Minivirus2
    Love everything IF has ever done, but in on an album that's lacking for a better portion, CC is IMO the best song IF have ever written.