Soundtrack To Your Escape review by In Flames

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
In Flames: Soundtrack To Your Escape

The overall sound of this album as compared to that of Reroute to Remain is very similar in design yet lacking of individuality. I don't think In Flames really changesd their sound enough for this album to make it really unique and the rhythms during the verses seem to be very similar to those on some of their other albums. Also the biggest bug about this album was this dumb percussive sound I kept hearing too much. It started to get on my nerves after a while.

I think Anders has really come around as a vocalist not only in the stylish aspect but in the lyrical aspect as well. He seems to have gotten better at writing songs where it isn't mostly about having to grow up in hard conditions or hating someone else but now there is some lyrical variety in the songs. The Quiet Place has my favorite lyrics on the whole CD but the best vocal job is done on My Sweet Shadow.

Before I got this album I had already bought Reroute to Remain and Clayman. After hearing the differentiation between those two I was really expecting to get something really unique from this album as well. However I feel as though I didn't get it. This album was a bit of a letdown for me because I didn't feel the songs as much as I did fo Reroute to Remain and Clayman. Also I thought the first song F(r)iend was the worst song from this band I have evr heard.

ingames
    The JesterHead
    ingames wrote: Ummmm a 10 to this record? You mean it's at par with The Jester Race? Sure, there are some good songs here, but it's s**t compared to the complexity and diversity of melodies and poetic lyrics of their earlier work....
    +1 Exactly. Perfectly put.
    oTOOLo
    The JesterHead wrote: TrUe MeTaL FaN wrote: good album How can a True Metal Fan say such a thing for... This?
    coz it is good
    Metallichemical
    JungIe wrote: i think this album needs more bass.
    I COMPLETELY agree with this. One of the first things I noticed when listening to it. Most of the reviews for this album were horrible, they didn't seem very reliable. I was also very surprised to see so many 10's. I was expecting to see a bunch of low numbers, maybe some 7's and 8's. I like this album, but imo, this is probably some of In Flames worst work, maybe even their worst, can't really judge that fairly yet.