Soundtrack To Your Escape Review

In Flames: Soundtrack To Your Escape
Released: Apr 6, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Metal, Death Metal
Nice, safe, radio-friendly death metal - that?s just what this album?s about.
 9.7
 8.3
Soundtrack To Your Escape Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2004

Sound: Something that In Flames is known for is changing their sound with each new album. Following that trend, this album sounds quite a bit different than any of their preceeding works. The songs on this album are all very good and although they may not be as traditional as some older death metal fans would prefer, you must realize that musical styles change over the years, and a band that has been going for over 10 years (such as In Flames) isn't "selling out" just because they change their sound. Nothing on this album is by any means "Nu-Metal"; it is strictly just a newer style of death metal (much better than most in my opinion). // 10

Lyrics: Anders sticks to his usual writing style and presents ingenious lyrics that take extremely deep thought to comprehend and sings them with more emotion than ever. Unlike most death metal bands, his voice changes quite a bit throughout a single song. He may be singing beautifully at one point and switch to a somewhat hostile rant, to an ear piercing scream, and of course a very low, overpowering growl at some points. It is the best work he has done yet and, considering that every work In Flames has produced is incredible, that is saying something. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is one of the best out there. Every song on it is an epic and every clip that was placed between certain tracks, sets up its upcomming song so beautifully that it could not go unntoticed. It is sure to please fans of any metal genre. In Flames is one of the best groups ever assebled and i would recomend all of their preceeding albums as well. // 10

Soundtrack To Your Escape Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Sound: Ok, so this may be "Radio friendly death metal" but it's pretty damn good! If you are buying this expecting to be shocked by the heaviness the dont but if you want some great melodic death metal then this is definately the album for you. Don't get me wrong, this is no linkin park, the album can be quite heavy in parts. Anders' vocals (both singing and screaming) are on top form and the duelling guitars from bjorn and jesper are very effective. In songs like f(r)iend, you can hear some decent blast drumming, not forgetting the driving bass lines from peter iwers. The keyboards are less prominant than they have been but when you do hear them, they are used in the best way possible. Overall i think this is a great heavy metal album that will be liked by the majority of people. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are deep and in some cases even moving. They make you think. In terms of vocal skills, Anders Friden can easily pull of the contrast between melodic singing and the hardcore screams that make this album what it is: brilliant! // 10

Overall Impression: Everyone says that In Flames sound like koRn blah blah blah... Maybe they're right. The sound of this album is incredibly far from Jonathan Davies' nu metal monster but there is a noticable difference. I found "Evil in a closet" to be my favourite track from the album. It has melody to it and its a truly moving song. Something that I could listen to over and over. Others that stood out were "Borders and shading" and "Touch of red." If this album was ever stolen I would track down theiving f*%er and set him on fire! He wanted In Flames, he got it! This is definitely worth buying and I would reccomend this to any metal fan. // 10

Soundtrack To Your Escape Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Sound: This Sound of this album fits perfectly together. As a first time listener to this band I am extremely pleased with In Flames original sound. The shere beauty of heavyness and melodies in this album is astounding. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album is astounding. I pulled my truck over nearly killing everyone on the highway so I hear the impressive lyrics on this recor. The Lyrics really flows with the music. Escape has the dynamics of a mellody and a psychotic thrash. And as for the acutal singer, not many singers can go from the quiet to growl to scream like this singer (not sure of name.) And he really has a good singing voice. It is a rareity that you hear someone with a good set of pipes in the new generation of metal. Don't get me wrong you got a handful of good singers but some of the new singers either just scream or just have no talent won't say any names. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a top notch album. This is seriously one of the best albums I have heard in literaly years. This is one of my new top fav albums along side Alice in Chains' "Dirt" and Bush "Razorblade Suitcase". But only one flaw that I really saw was that there is a guitar solo in between the fourth and fifth song which I would like to have seen as a track on its own so I could see it tabbed on this kick ass website. And I tell you The moment that this record skips I would buy another in a instant. // 10

Soundtrack To Your Escape Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 20, 2008

Sound: The overall sound of this album as compared to that of Reroute to Remain is very similar in design yet lacking of individuality. I don't think In Flames really changesd their sound enough for this album to make it really unique and the rhythms during the verses seem to be very similar to those on some of their other albums. Also the biggest bug about this album was this dumb percussive sound I kept hearing too much. It started to get on my nerves after a while. // 8

Lyrics: I think Anders has really come around as a vocalist not only in the stylish aspect but in the lyrical aspect as well. He seems to have gotten better at writing songs where it isn't mostly about having to grow up in hard conditions or hating someone else but now there is some lyrical variety in the songs. The Quiet Place has my favorite lyrics on the whole CD but the best vocal job is done on My Sweet Shadow. // 10

Overall Impression: Before I got this album I had already bought Reroute to Remain and Clayman. After hearing the differentiation between those two I was really expecting to get something really unique from this album as well. However I feel as though I didn't get it. This album was a bit of a letdown for me because I didn't feel the songs as much as I did fo Reroute to Remain and Clayman. Also I thought the first song F(r)iend was the worst song from this band I have evr heard. // 7

Soundtrack To Your Escape Reviewed by: InFlamesFreak, on may 29, 2004

Sound: Ok, what can I say the sound on this CD is awesome every thing fits perfectly with the vocals, guitars, drums, and bass. I think that it isnt as heavy as they used to be, but I like how they did that and changed their sound every album. Like I said the sound on this CD is absolutly to die for and i love it. // 10

Lyrics: Anders agian comes up with the greatest lyrics for this type of music and makes you think of what hes trying to say. I love it how he has different singing methods of sing, such as "Borders And Shading" how he goes from sing peacfully to a pearcing growl/scream, thats what I absolutly love about him. Anders put in his best work into this one than any of the other CDs he came out with. // 10

Overall Impression: This album might not be a good or heavy as their others but is still is a kick ass record and i would deff. Recomend buying it. Once I herd this CD I fell in love with it from the first time I ever herd it. // 10

Comments