The Mirror's Truth review by In Flames

• Released: Mar 10, 2008
In Flames: The Mirror's Truth

Right from the start, this EP shows why In Flames is still top of the game. Sure you can say they sold out, but not every band can sound the same album to album. This EP continues the trend started with Reroute to Remain and Soundtrack to Your Escape; for better or worse (better, in my opinion) this is the direction they are taking. Right when you press play, you can tell that it is, indeed, In Flames; the signature guitar work is hard to miss. Each song has a different feel; "The Mirror's Truth" is aggressive, with blinding drums, solid bass, amazing guitar (even a small solo thrown in), and it comes together amazingly; "Eraser" brings much the same feel, with a slightly more synthesized feel to it, which In Flames is getting the hang of; "Tilt" has a slightly slower pace to it, but still feels like an IF song; and "Abnegation", I can't say enough good things about this song. While first appearing on Viva La Bands Vol. 2, this is a reworked version of it; slightly different lyrics, better vocals, and an overall tighter feel. I didn't think they could make that song any better, and I was surprisingly shown wrong. This song is so tight, it is easily top 5 among their extensive career, along with Take This Life and Trigger. Unfortunately, only "The Mirror's Truth" will be on their new album, but if this is the stuff that didn't make the cut, I cannot wait to see what they pull out.

Anders Friden has been criticized for changing his vocal styles starting with Colony and Clayman; However, he is now a prime example of a Grade-A vocalist. He hasn't lost any aggressiveness in his singing, and proves with these songs that he can sing a melody or two. His lyrics have shown that he is growing as a songwriter as well; I cannot describe how well thought out and constructed his lyrics are. The vocals are multilayered, allowing for a more focused sound, whether it be raw or melodic. Again, I cannot wait to see what the new album holds in store.

This, in my opinion, the strongest work In Flames has put out, which is saying a lot, as Come Clarity rarely leaves my CD player. As part of the Melodic Death Metal scene, they have shown an amazing maturation along side their counterparts, Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity (their latest albums also receive heavy, heavy, rotation with me). "Abnegation" has over 100 plays on my iPod in the last 2 weeks, I just cannot get enough of it; The only downsides I find with this EP is that (1) it is not longer, (2) 3/4 songs aren't gonna be on the new album, and (3) the wait for the next 2 weeks until "Sense of Purpose" comes out is going to be even longer. Even at 4 songs and 16 minutes length, I would buy new copies whenever something happened to it.

Dream Pin
    I for one enjoyed Soundtrack and Reroute for what they were, rather than comparing them to any of their other albums. Same as I do for other bands. Yeah, sure there's barely any solos or leads in either of the albums, but sometimes I'm just down for some chugga chugga. Touch Of Red anyone? Also, I've only heard The Mirror's Truth off this (my friend sent me Disconnected too, which I have to say I prefer) and I can't say I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it's solid. The muddy production lets it down a bit. Looking forward to the new album though.
    JRowe3388
    This EP is brilliant! I can't wait till this album comes out. The songs I've heard so far are epic. Drenched In Fear FTW!
    clit eastwood
    are you on crack? or have you just not heard the first 5 albums??
    joe295159
    come clarity had too much emotional lyrics really and I think it sounded more like metalcore than melodic/alternative death metal
    mason092
    GoWithTheFlow
    xXChimairaXx wrote: I support this guys no matter what they do. I'd have to say that Jester Race/Colony were on another level compared the rest of their more modern stuff. But Come Clarity is a great album, and this will be too. ...Plus, they've managed to make a music video as weird as a Tool video. They got my vote.
    i dont think anyone can top a tool video. its just not possible
    henkka_potku
    The sound and the riffs are great, I could listen to these songs forever. The vocals are only getting better, because the clean vocal-parts are great and melodic (reminds me of Metaphor). Only thing missing is the proper guitar solos. It would be GREAT to hear some speedpicking riffs, maybe some sweeping mixed with great melodies. This was too short... gotta get the album. Guys, could you close your bittorrent or utorrent for ONCE, and really get the album. It will be worth it.
    Vanhanen
    I like all the songs on this EP, just waiting for the real album now!
    -metalhead-
    Who the hell classifies In Flames as Nu-Metal??! And Come Clarity was awesome in my opinion.
    Olli616
    Soundtrack and Reroute have Nu-Metal influences but it's still not nu-metal. I don't like Anders vocals on the new albums. Why doesn't he growl anymore?
    TheDave1552
    Masonpwiley wrote: clayman999 wrote: Clit Eastwood Said: are you on crack? or have you just not heard the first 5 albums?? I own all their albums, and each of them is amazing. I, however, was introduced to them through Reroute to Remain, and i happen to like their newer stuff better, that is all. We are all entitled to our opinion. yes, but that isn't anything like In Flames real style. It sounds like Korn. It doesn't have th awesome melodies or intrumental work.
    Well I wouldn't go that far as to say that they sounded like Korn. To me Korn doesn't have that structured musical feel, but I don't think you can say the same about In Flames. Although I like their old work, I too prefer In Flames' later work based solely on the fact that I was introduced to their later stuff first. In any case, this album is going to kick so much a**, and The Mirror's Truth is just so awesome.
    Lee Mc
    duncang : Lee Mc wrote: The lyrics from vocalist Anders Fridn havent been too strong for a good number of years, but the lyrics here seem to be a big step up from the poor attempts on Come Clarity. I disagree. I think the lyrics on 'Come Clarity' are great and quite meaningful. Just look at 'Crawl Through Knives', 'Come Clarity', 'Leeches' and 'Take This Life' (to name a few). I think you can connect with certain aspects of these lyrics which, to me, makes them good lyrics. All good lyrics arnt just about political shit and environmental events. IT BURRRRNS IT RIPS IT HURRRRTTTSSSSS
    EXACTALLY!!!!
    whatiaminstead
    ive had a love for every In Flames release and have all of them. i can see the style shifting and evolving, and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. Come Clarity for me was a HUGE breath of fresh air compared to Reroute and Soundtrack (though i still enjoy them) and i can see Purpose as going back even further. i would really like to see a complete throwback to their twin guitars and real intesnsity again someday though.
    titter
    agreed my man! i am a fan of Jester and subterranean but every album has came out to be a strong sounding album in its own metal niche. much hope for their a return to older and so far its SICK
    Korosu
    This band has lost it. Long live their old stuff. The new stuff is pure shit.
    Baronobeefdip
    That would be pretty awesome if Anders growled in their new stuff like he did on Whoracle. MMM... Whoracle... And as for Come Clarity, if you think about it, the lyrics encompass the badass and well placed art by Derek Hess.
    rebofthetemple
    I like all the songs on this except The Mirror's Truth. In my opinion Tilt or Eraser should've been the single.
    lilboisX3
    0h The Horror wrote: lilboisX3 :o please they were never that good. they used to be awesome but far from gods loled. In Flames are by far one of the greatest metal bands of alllll time. Its a fact.
    don't you mean were. they used to be a good metal band. but they lost it. how can you compare their early works to now.
    Insolent
    If 'The Mirror's Truth' is anything to go by, the new album will be a complete cock up. Maybe I'd like their new stuff more if they'd have broke up and reformed under another name, solely because its painful to see the same artist name next to both Whoracle and this.
    schnibbel666
    well, i dont really like it. the solos are cool and good, but anything besides them mostly sucks. there is nearly no distortion in the guitars, you dont hear the riffs because the vocals are louder than everything... and the vocals as such - every record before had great vocals, no matter if it was the death metalish jester race stuff or the rather emotional but still great stye or come clarity... but this... sucks? they surely are still great musicians, i met bjrn and jesper yesterday and they are cool and stuff... but their new music is (of course) not what they used to make.
    touji-za-nai
    i really dont get why people call soundtrack and reroute nu-metal... it was way to hard to be numetal and had that swedish rythm i love
    Slasher_Sloth
    these new songs sound like they could be weaker songs found on something like Clayman, which is a step in the right direction. still, they arent the pioneering melo-death artist they used to be.
    D-Fraz35
    I saw 'The Mirror's Truth" on headbangers ball and i didn't really like the song bc it didn't sound like the original In Flames
    Piovesan121
    Korosu wrote: This band has lost it. Long live their old stuff. The new stuff is pure shit.
    I agree theyre new stuff is ok but their old stuff is way better
    0h The Horror
    In_Flames_ftw
    0h The Horror : loled. In Flames are by far one of the greatest metal bands of alllll time. Its a fact.
    Truth.
    metaldud536
    I liked some of their nu-metal stuff like Evil in a closet. I can relate with their new lyrics.
    Scourge441
    I thought Reroute and Soundtrack were decent, but Come Clarity was one of the worst releases of 2006. It didn't sound like older In Flames, it sounded like the multitudes of crappy bands who tried to rip off older In Flames, and I expect A Sense of Purpose to sound exactly the same. Anders isn't a good vocalist anymore, and the band has lost their knack for writing decent songs.
    Lee Mc
    messenjah
    i bought this the other day and i have no stopped listening to it since. The title track on this EP has been ringing in my head all day. I love the solo about 1 minute in.
    +}-136-{+
    I recently got the EP as well, and I agree with the reviews above. If the rest of the album is as good as the EP, then In Flames have got a pretty solid album on their hands.
    Lasyk
    YES SOME NEW IN FLAMES MATERIAL!!! AND I GET PAID TODAY WOOOOOT!!!! BET U GUYS CAN GUESS WHERE MY MONEYS GOING xD
    666Sabbath666
    Heard the single and I thought it sounded a lot like the Come Clarity album, which isn't a bad thing. Definitely looking forward to the new album, and seeing them on Gigantour
    duncang
    IT BURRRRNS IT RIPS IT HURRRRTTTSSSSS
    xXChimairaXx
    xXChimairaXx
    I support this guys no matter what they do. I'd have to say that Jester Race/Colony were on another level compared the rest of their more modern stuff. But Come Clarity is a great album, and this will be too. ...Plus, they've managed to make a music video as weird as a Tool video. Gigantour is going to be the best concert ever.