The Mirror's Truth review by In Flames

• Released: Mar 10, 2008
In Flames: The Mirror's Truth

In my hands I am holding 'The Mirror's Truth' EP, the taster for what's to come on the new In Flames album, 'A Sense of Purpose'. Three of the songs on this EP won't appear on the upcoming album, and what can I say about that? Get the EP or you're missing out big time. Two out of the three songs, titled 'Eraser' and 'Abnegation' are some of the best work I've seen from the "new" In Flames (Reroute to Remain and on). Those songs possess great guitar work, amazing keyboards that blend in very well, skillful drumming, a few solos, all mixed very well and great sounding. On the other hand, another song that won't appear on the new album, 'Tilt', is better off left out, as it's rather mediocre and sounds much like filler to me, even though it has a few great licks. The last song, 'The Mirror's Truth', will appear on the new album and is neither filler nor great, it's just good. Overall, the sound of this EP is best described as the 'Reroute to Remain' vocals meet the 'Colony' guitars and keyboards, producing some great work.

The lyrics on this EP are great, even though they are kinda cheesy at times, take the rhyming in the first verse of 'Abnegation' for example. That doesn't rid them of their appeal, again, I'll use 'Abnegation' as an example, lines 'We believe but we are not free, this wasteland is our prison' and 'This torn land, I'd rather not live here anymore' clearly adress the pollution and waste issue. The problem with the EP is that not all lyrics are published in it, only the ones for 'Abnegation' and 'The Mirror's Truth' are. That's a problem easily solved, thanks to Anders's great pronunciation and vocal style.

This EP provides me with high hopes, with In Flames producing some of the finest material they produced in years, the new album is bound to be good. This EP is worth spending money on just because of 'Eraser' (the best song on the EP in my opinion) and 'Abnegation', as these tracks won't appear on the new album, and are very good. I can safely say that In Flames have found a great sound, not as good as their old stuff (everything up to Clayman), but much better than the one on their recent efforts. I just hope that they can keep it up on the upcoming album.

jambi_mantra
    I don't think they are a melodic death band anymore. I love their old stuff, but Reroute was alright, Come Clarity is one of my favourite albums. People need to stop comparing them to their old stuff. They're not that kinda band anymore. I wouldn't mind them going back that way, but seeing as they'll probably retire after this album and tour I'm just happy to see em live.
    The JesterHead
    That's not the thing. They are truly not Melodic Death Metal. They aren't Alternative Metal, or Heavy Metal, or Nu-Metal... They're ---In Flames---, and as soon as you all realise that, and the fact they'll never release albums such as TJR and Whoracle anymore, you'll like the new stuff more. Amen.
    SatanPriest
    I actually like the new EP, at first I didn't know what to expect, but its pretty good. Although its one of their more commercial songs, The Mirror's Truth is my favorite track, and Eraser is right up there with it. Tilt is pretty good, but nothing really stood out to me. Abnegation has good music, but the backing vocals in the chorus just ruin it for me, I can't even listen to it because the backing vox annoy me.
    Perpetual Burn
    Sadly, this EP seems to bring the best in their new album. I have to honestly say that their new album is such a disapointment...