Used And Abused... In Live We Trust [DVD] review by In Flames

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
In Flames: Used And Abused... In Live We Trust [DVD]

Bjorn Gelotte and Jesper Stromblad have to have the best guitar tone I have ever heard. The only guitarists that even come close to such good tone are Robert Flynn and Joe Satriani even though his sound is slightly different. This band is great live and the instruments can be heard quite clearly. They are not one of those bands that have muffled sound when they perform live. Anders has a versatile voice that holds up well during switches in the vocal style. He does great on Trigger live.

Content — 9
This is actually a DVD set. It comes with two discs featuring live material and music videos and Jester TV. One however is just live material but the other contains everything but live footage. It is a bit of a bummer to have to change the discs and wait for them to load in order to view different things. The Jester TV is rather interesting because It basically features a designated In Flames reporter who goes around and talks to the band and gives reports on upcoming stuff. Something tells me the band didn't know about this guy. The music vids are pretty thorough only I wish they would have included Cloud Connected and Trigger as well. I think there are five or six vids so there is album variety.

Production Quality — 9
The filming is fantastic. Whoever managed it knew what they were doing. There are several agles of view for the viewer to see the band at their best. The sound is nice and clear live as well as in the videos. This seems to be a common problem among music video DVDs but not in this case. The video for the Quite Place is done fantastically but I did have one disappointment in that the video for System shouldn't have been just the song with the live performance in the background. There should have been some acting involved.

Personally I think In Flames is the greatest melodic death metal band ever, well, tied with Opeth, but I think I prefer the band on CD. It is just a little more fun to listen to when you don't have to look at anything and head bang at the same time. Pretty decent for a first DVD. I hope they put the rest of their music videos on the next DVD release, that would be nice.