A Star Crossed Wasteland review by In This Moment

• Released: Jul 9, 2010
In This Moment: A Star Crossed Wasteland

As a die-hard In This Moment fan since I first came across the quintet as their CD Beautiful Tragedy first arrived on shelves in 2006, I instantly have fallen in love with their sound, and praise their melodies graciously. Now this may sound weird, but In This Moment at times can add quite the perfect mix of heavy and light together, and thats what happened in The Dream. The Dream was my favorite album of 2008, simply for their effective melodies and leads that gave the album a powerful response from emotions everywhere. A month ago when The Gun Show was first played through my speakers, it was a perfect lead into this new album, where they going back to their roots of Screams and chuggin galore? Or was this just to show they can still rock it heavy? The Gun Show showed the band could still bull off their old roots, but it sounded cheesy. Maria can still scream better than a lot of screamo singers, but the melodies I had grown in love with for long were almost dead. Then I got the album. The second song The Drive gave me all the hope I needed to write this review positively, combining the harmonious vocals with an actual form of chord progressions instead of simple chugg chugg chugg of open pal mutes. The leads came back, and this vibe continued into more songs, leading directly, as I promised, to The Promise. Soft, clean, and a male vocalist?! This adds so much more depth into the song, and the chorus explodes with Maria's screams and the guitars lusciously providing backup. Guitarist Chris Howorth knows hot to play guitar, and he shows it in his graceful leads in quite noticably every song. The Road is the most distinguishable, adding tapping licks, and a delicately drawn out solo to harmony lead, many other songs emphasize unique solos, such as world in flames, the gun show, and A Star-Crossed Wasteland. Jeff Fabb and kyle Konkiel keep the grooves down on the low end, with Fabb on the drums and Konkiel on the bass. Jeff Fabb has quite the skills at drumming, sure it is not anything that will win him an award, but he closes the guitars and the vocals perfectly into songs that have movements and change with his patterns. The mixing is only an improvement, if not better. In This Moment have brought a solid sound to this album.

Watch In This Moment live and you will notice Guitarist Chris Howorth always mouthing the words to songs, well now he gets his own parts. It seems Maria can loosen up a bit on the stress of taking all the vocals, I mean she is great, and not to mention she won hottest girl in metal of 2009. Her vocals are raw, lets put it that way first. She can scream with quite an edge that looks some guys (even bandmate chris howorth) look foolish. Iron Army is one of these songs where you can feel the power of her screams through the speakers, and boy does it create the goosebumps. Those deeps vocals at the end are killer, I mean listen for yourself (buy the album). Her actual singing voice is just as impressive, gaining quite the range since Beautiful Tragedy. She can sing, and I love the soothing voice she has. Into The Light on the last album was by far one of the prettiest songs I have, and I could not wait to hear those type of vocals again, and luckily they are found. World In Flames, the last track, has quite the pretty vocals by Maria, and even her piano is heard, all in all, her vocals can produce tears. Back to Howorth, he adds depth to her vocals by giving that low tone when he duals with her, or his screams, which are not the best, but give a look of surprise to hear someone besides Brink. He can sing though, and every time I hear his voice I swear I think its Myles Kennedy, which is a compliment. The vocals are the strongpoint of this album.

Overall, In This Moment have brought another solid album to the world. With new accomplishments achieved over the years, more hype has been brewing for this album, and to be honest, with an exception of The Gun Show, all the hype will be met. The band stepped past their debut track, which has been said to be too hard to get them anywhere, and found more songs with many having the potential to become singles. Maria Brink ands her lucious screaming has more than meets the eye, and I'm sure she does too. A Star-Crossed Wasteland happens to be a wonderland for listeners, and to call it just solid is downright wrong. It is a new begining to two mixed sounds. Adding the melodies and light sounds from The Dream with their official screaming roots of Beautiful Tragedy give this album the potential to take this band farther than before. This is an album to purchase if you are a music player or a listener, or just a fan of bands with good looking girls in them, no matter what, In This Moment will always be a great band, and this album is a must have.

iH8CarAccidents
    As a die-hard In This Moment fan since I first came across the quintet...
    Aaaaaand there goes the credibility.
    Hells.Mascot
    Bigdave9576
    I mean..she is hot.. Well she has massive breasts..but man the music is boring. I'm not trying to be negative (and its true, the review was pathetic), but I just can't hear anything in this band that is interesting, or new, or refreshing. Shame really.
    JaxBOM
    guitarsftw wrote: The Chauffeur wrote: As a die-hard In This Moment... stopped reading there. Same here. I am not opposed to fans of a band writing reviews. But that bias cannot be apparent in the review, and the reviewer must do his/her best to make sure that bias doesn't exist in the writing. Same goes for someone who HATES a band that he/she is reviewing. The writer in this instance abandons that notion on the first sentence.
    agreed
    guitarsftw
    EpiExplorer wrote: Hells.Mascot wrote: Fanboys are typically younger kids. It's totally age-biased to disregard a review because someone is younger, but that's usually the case. I could give a lot of reasons why, but I'm not going to. You guys are typically close-minded and cynical, so you're not really any better. The thing I will say is that these featured reviews are useful in that they are a good way of putting a certain band on your radar. That's not to say that Ultimate Guitar is trying to shove certain types of music down your throats - they're not. But it is a nice way to see the albums coming out and get a feel for whether or not you would like to check the band out or, better yet, expand your musical horizons. I can understand why people listen to the same old stuff - I know I do. It's been years since I've been able to keep up with all the music that comes out; I've long since given up on being a purist or elitist collector and I often come back to the same old stuff too. But these reviews are an excellent, interesting, and accessible way to sift through what one may or may not like. Additionally, the hate that is spewed and the foundering, sheeplike defenses that devotees submit in the comments are often hilarious. Dude, my dads 63 and hes been a fanboy of the Stones since he was 19. Its a general term and doesn't have to apply to one specific group.
    +1. There are MANY artists that have been around a LONG time with fans just as old as they are that have the same level of "fanboy"ishness as any modern mall band. I was at a Bruce Springsteen concert last Fall (an artist that I am admittedly a devoted fanboy of) and met DOZENS of men in their 50's that were total fanboys.
    EpiExplorer
    oldschoolthrash
    Because mindless sheep attach themselves to whatever the current trend is. This terrible band falls into the "OMG THEY HAZ A GIRL SCREAMING METAL NO WAI" category.
    Echoplex
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: So...why is it that all the crappy Metalcore bands, all the bands that basically don't even deserve a first listen, get fanboy reviews?
    Better yet, why do they even have fanboys?
    haz_uk
    i'm noticing how many of these 'official' reviews are using the same trite, recycled descriptive language - it becomes as unoriginal as the crap they're talking about. we need more musically educated writers.
    s1nn3r
    Tarsplitter wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Fanboy review. Totally one sided. Agreed.
    Agreed +1.
    metalgearcore
    The Chauffeur wrote: As a die-hard In This Moment... stopped reading there.
    as above so below.
    GibsonMan321
    Hmm... I don't listen to this band, but that Gus G. solo was pretty great; Better than anything he did on Ozzy's new album. Oh, the singer is ****in' hot too, but overall, their music is not really my thing.
    RAGman22ReborN
    I may be the only one with the balls to say it but the Gun Show DOES NOT represent the album AT ALL. If anything, it was the only REAL BAD track. On the other hand, I did enjoy the rest of the album. My 3 fav songs were Just Drive, The Promise and The Road. The male backup vocals in this album add a certain new dynamic and I did enjoy some fresh new solos but alas, another brickwalled album. Where's the FUCKING BASS?! I put this album below The Dream in terms of mixing value. Their last album had a better mix, all of which you were able to hear every dynamic clearly. Lemme cut this shit, wanna see an objective review, go here: http://ronnieagonzalez.blogspot.com/2010... ossed-wasteland-review.html
    vontuff
    Oh! I forgot to say. I agree with a lot of people here, in which that they should not let die hard fans write reviews because they are going to like the material regardless. I think they should get people a FAN of the genre of music the band is playing in. I think there you can get a better critic.
    vontuff
    The band is good. Its the first time I listen to it so I can't be judging because I haven't heard their past records. But they are overall good.
    guitarsftw
    The Chauffeur wrote: As a die-hard In This Moment... stopped reading there.
    stndrdprcdre
    I agree that the review was pretty fanboy-ish and one-sided. But I can also understand that it can be difficult to speak objectively about something you really like. So, basically, few people will gain anything from this review.
    hobo467
    I'm surprised the UG team let this slide. The article has some good sections in it, but it's also littered with biased statements that can't really be argued.
    crazysam23_Atax
    oldschoolthrash
    Yeah, I don't listen to this band, but once again I have to agree with my fellow commenters that this review is awful. Way to give no insight on the album while overhyping it. I find it hard to believe that somewhere within that wall of "this amazing band that is just perfectly terrific at being great" there is an album review. UG is slowly dying, and things like this are why.
    axeslinger0u812
    Yeah, agree with the previous comments. It's a shame too, because this album is pretty cool. I'm stoked about the mix they have here. In my opinion, the best songs are "just drive,""standing alone," "iron army," and the bonus song "remember." the song structures have the feel from the dream with a more aggressive vocal style reminiscent of beautiful tragedy. This album is actually a lot closer to a follow up to beautiful tragedy than the dream was. Also...for a fanboy, I would think reading some liner notes occasionally might help. Gus G does the solo in "the road."
    Macabre Lullaby
    "Now this may sound weird, but In This Moment at times can add quite the perfect mix of heavy and light together" ...really? Is that really considered weird now? Still, this had totally slipped off my radar. Forgot it was coming out. I'll have to check it out. :
    BlackApparatus
    RAGman22ReborN wrote: I may be the only one with the balls to say it but the Gun Show DOES NOT represent the album AT ALL. If anything, it was the only REAL BAD track.
    Someone made some sense here! Maria looks quite hot in the video, but the song itself sucks. The rest of the album is quite like Beautiful Tragedy, which I personally enjoyed a lot.