Blood review by In This Moment

• Released: Aug 10, 2012
In This Moment: Blood

Before I begin my review, I will put a disclaimer. This is the first In This Moment album I have ever listened to. I am not yet familiar with their other albums, so this review will be based on ITM's performance on this album itself and not on where this stands in relation to their other releases.

With that said, where to begin?

I found Blood to be an enjoyable album. In This Moment flirts with the borders of pop and metal, experimenting with lots of electronic elements (something some metalheads will find unforgiveable). Maria Brink-- who can almost be seen as the Lady Gaga of metal - croons for one minute, then bursts out into furious screams the next. She is the focal point of the album; the instrumentalists are talented but don't dare to push their skills to stand out.

As mentioned before, Maria Brink is the highlight of the album. Though her voice isn't by any means the best voice in metal, it is a perfect match for the music. However, the lack of imagination in the lyrics is disappointing. It seems like most of the songs revolve around the cliche of sex and relationships. What Brink lacks in lyrical diversity she makes up for in raw energy and emotion; the song "You're Gonna Listen" is one of particularly strong example; her screaming of "shut up" well over 45 times is brimming with ferocity that just pumps the blood.

As a guy who usually listens to thrash and power metal, I was pleasantly surprised by this album. The songs are solid through and through. I'd recommend that the band try to improve their writing to showcase their instrumentalists a bit more so that the band remains In This Moment and not Maria Brink and the Other Guys. There is a very strong pop influence; this is a double-edged sword as it will bring in new fans who are just experimenting with metal but possibly drive off some of the "kvlt" metalheads. This one of 2013's better albums and I look forward to listening to ITM's previous material as well as seeing where they go in the future.

RAGman22ReborN
    I am still torn between The Dream (Ultraviolet Edition) and A Star-Crossed Wasteland. Blood basically aimed for more of an Industrial sound which, in my opinion, would have panned better if they kept their last bassist and last rhythm guitarist. Goes to show that changing even the least standout members makes a HUGE difference,