A Crow Left Of The Murder review by Incubus

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Incubus: A Crow Left Of The Murder

I never really liked Incubus until they released Make Yourself and even then I didn't really like them all that well. Then Morning View was released and I started to like them more and I know have more of an appreciation for Make Yourself. I waited and waited for their new album, but when I first heard Megalomaniac, I didn't like it and I didn't know if I would like the new cd. There was an interview with Mike Einzinger in a guitar magazine and he said ACLOTM would be different that Morning View and Make Yourself, so that along with Megalomaniac had me a little skeptical. But when I got the cd, I was pleasently suprised with how good it is. Alot of my friends have heard that album and didn't like it. But after listening to it a few times, it starts to grow on you. They may have strayed from their last two albums, but this is still a great album. Guitar work is good, the new bassist seems to mesh well. Einzinger let loose on a couple of tracks, knocking out some solos which is kind of rare compared to Morning View. But a welcome change.

I've always thought Brandon wrote good lyrics and he didn't disappoint here, he rarely does though. The lyrics reflects on a different range of topics, which is good. The lyrics meshed really well with the music, the emotions of the lyrics fit well with the music. Brandon is one of the best singers/songwriters in the music industry today, which is a big reason Incubus is as big as they are.

In my opinion the four best songs are the first four tracks, Megalomaniac, A Crow Left Of The Murder, Agoraphobia and Talk Shows On Mute. Don't get me wrong all the songs are good, but those four are the best of them all. Other standouts are Sick Sad Little World, Pistola and Made For TV Movie. Southern Girl is a pretty mellow song. Here In My Room is actually a pretty haunting song in my opinion. The music is what really reflects that emotion to me more than anything. The only song I don't really like is Priceless. Overall this is another great album by a great band, although I don't see it doing well as far as sales, do to it not being like the last two releases; but depending on what songs they release as singles, it could really take off. I would definitely make Agoraphobia and Talk Shows On Mute as singles, but that's just my opinion. Alot of people have only heard Make Yourself and Morning View and ACLOTM is different from those albums. But I highly recommend it to anyone, at first it's hard to get used to, but after a few listens you get used to it, I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it.