A Crow Left Of The Murder review by Incubus

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Incubus: A Crow Left Of The Murder

The new Incubus album is one that will either blow you away or make you hate the band for good. For those Incubus fans that joined on in the 'Morning View' era should be prepared for a shock. A Crow Left of the Murder see's the band returning to their roots and Faith No More influenced alt rock. If you haven't heard S.C.I.E.N.C.E then this album will completely new to you. If you've been listening to Incubus for the whole 13 years like me this will be a welcome return to form. It is also nice to see that they have lost none of their musicainship thanks to a line-up change. The new bass player Ben fits in perfectly complementing Mike in everyway.

I personally think Brandon boyd is one of the best singer/songwriters at the mo. This album is no exception with diverse lyrics ranging from isolation (agoraphobia) to love (Southern girl, In my room). It should be noted that the ballards on this album are exceptional, with In My Room being the best song on the album.

This album is the best Incubus album so far. It used to be Make Yourself but now this one is stuck in my CD player for good. The lyrics are excellent and are typically witey and sharp as you would expect. The music is strong, bold and catchy but still maintains the sense of being a bit eccentric. But the one reason to buy this album is because of Mike Einziger. In past album he has stuck to simple, catchy riffs but has gone haywire on 'Crow'. A highlight is the 3 minutes solo on 'Sick, Sad little world'. If this album was stolen I would definitely buy it again. Not just because I am an Incubus purist and need a complete collection but because every alt rocker needs it. Buy it.