A Crow Left Of The Murder review by Incubus

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Incubus: A Crow Left Of The Murder

The band has grown over the 3 years since Morning View and let's just say they did a great job on polishing their sound. The story behind this CD is that Make Yourself and Morning View were very alike sounding albums. Although Morning View got a little more poppier, so it was now time to make an off the wall, innovative creation. They stretched their sound and went back to their roots at the same time, speaking of the Roots, new bassist Ben Kenney! Simply Amazing on the sound as a whole.

The lyrics (as always with Incubus) are spectacular. Brandon Boyd shows his genius clearly, and you can see his political stance on the Iraq war on songs like "Megalomaniac" and "Agoraphobia." After one listen you can see him pointing the finger at Bush (with good reason) and you see that with all this war going on he would rather just "stay inside for good." Also, it seems with every album that vocally Brandon is just getting better and better, making stretches with his voice that you don't usually see with a male singer, but it is great.

Overall, this album does not compare to anything that I have ever heard. It is Incubus in their hardest, most punk sounding form while still maintaining such an innovative stance that tends to blow away every listener that first hears the album. After many listens it still surprises me to see what these guys did on this album, pure genius. The most impressive songs (in my opinion) are (in no particular order): "Sick Sad Little World," "Megalomaniac," "Beware Criminal!" "Here In My Room," "Priceless," "Zee Deveel" and "Made For TV Movie." The other songs are also great too. I love everything about the album and all I really hate is that songs like "Pantomime" and "Monuments And Melodies" were not included but that's okay. If it were stolen or lost, I would just burn it again. With the promise of the new tracks on the Stealth soundtrack ("Make A Move," "Admiration" and "Niether Of Us Can See") it's easy to see that we have another groundbreaking album coming soon from these guys, hopefully in 2006!