Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] review by Incubus

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Incubus: Alive At Red Rocks [DVD]

Wow! The band has a great sound both in the studio and live. Brandon's voice is perfect, I dont think he hits one wrong note. The sound quality is very good, while still capturing that live atmosphere.

Content — 9
Has an extra CD with 3 b sides and 2 live tracks. Also has behind the scenes stuff. Very cool! The set list is good, but I have to say as I am more of a fan of Incubus before a Crow Left Of The Murder (although it still isn't bad) I would have prefered some better songs like Make Yourself or Warning or Deep Inside taking the place of songs like Pistola, Sick Sad Little World, Here In My Room. The DVD really shows wat a great level of musicianship the band members have, with brandon playing his djembe in an extended interlude in Vitamin that leads to bassist Ben Kenney grabbing a drum kit of his own and jose, Ben and Brandon have a mad drum jam. Mike is a genius on guitar, and also grabs the piano for some songs, like drive. I enjoyed the extended interludes except for the one in sick sad little world.

Production Quality — 10
Good quality, including animations you can choose to turn on or off on 4 songs (just a Phase, Pistola, The Warmth and I forget the other one. I think it's Stellar). It's good that you have the option to watch it if you want.

Best live DVD I have seen so far, altho John Mayer's Any Given Thursday is damn good too (too all those mayer haters, he's a blues guitar god, watch his DVD and you'll see). The most impressive things are the quality of the band's live sound (especially the vocals) and also the extra tracks on the CD. I both love and hate the wide range of albums they have put in (Too much ACLOTM) and not enough Make Yuourself/Science/Morning View. It is sad to see no tracks from the Fungus Amongus on here too, however the musicanship on that album is not as high so that may be the reason. The last point on this DVD is it appears Brandon cannot scream anymore, as over the albums his voice has mellowed. In Vitamin his scream is just him singing louder, and on certain shade of green his attempt isnt that great. Other than that, everything is perfect!