Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] review by Incubus

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Incubus: Alive At Red Rocks [DVD]

Some bands sound better recorded and listened to on the radio/CD player. Then there are bands that are better live. The energy that they put into the music while playing in front of a crowd only adds to the sound of their music. Incubus is one of these bands. Add to that the fact that it was their first ever gig at the legendary Red Rocks venue and you are in for an amazing sounding show. This concert has a very lengthy setlist that draws off all major albums which will please all fans of the band. The majority of the setlist comes from their then-latest release "A Crow Left Of The Murder." I originally didn't like some of the tracks of that album, but after hearing them live I instantly fell in love with them. The band all perform up to their amazing talent, with Mike showing his skills on both guitar and Rhodes keyboard. All in all, the sound is top notch.

Content — 10
The DVD features 19 tracks from all four albums, plus the unreleased track "Pantomime." The DVD also features backstage footage of the band preparing for the gig. But the bulk of the DVD is the concert which is amazing in itself. The setlist is more than ample with material from almost all their albums. Old songs like "Stellar" and "Vitamin" have new air breathed into them in the form of jams in the middle. Vitamin especially so, with an amazing 3-way drum/percussion battle followed by a drum solo being my number one highlight of the DVD.

Production Quality — 9
The production of this DVD is very well done, with all camera work and sound mixing doing the band justice. What is especially cool is the option of either watching the band footage or watching some full-screen graphics of some crazy looking artwork that goes along with the theme of the songs. These are pretty cool to look at if you want a better idea of the concept of what the songs are about or just feel like tripping out for a bit. Apart from that, the production is up to the same standard as the rest of this DVD.

This DVD is definentally the best that Incubus has released to date, with the concert definentally being one of my favourite gigs that I've seen on screen. Just how well the band plays the songs is the one thing that stands out to me. This is definentally one of those DVD's that I would buy again if it was stolen. In a nutshell, I love it.

burndttoast
    Speak of the devil; I watched this just last night. I love the percussion solo(s) in Vitamin. That was just so damn great to watch.
    HILIKUS!
    I do not understand why no one seemed to enjoy the solo on sick sad little world, I found it to be incredible.