Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Review

artist: Incubus date: 02/10/2007 category: compact discs
Incubus: Alive At Red Rocks [DVD]
Released: November 23, 2004
The band do a full length set, including tracks from all four major albums, so fans will not be disappointed as there is plenty of variety. They also throw in some improvisations in the middle of tracks such as "Stellar" and "Vitamin". New unreleased tracks also such as "Pantomime" featuring Brandon playing guitar.
 Content: 9.6
 Production Quality: 8.9
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: derkym, on september 23, 2005

Sound: The sound on this DVD is truly breathtaking. Just about every song sounds better than on cd, and has an energy that can only be gotten live. There are a few occasions however where the sound has it's problems though. For instance, some of the songs suffer because the new bassist's backing vocals aren't quite up to par, and sometimes it's bad enough to make you cringe (listen to warmth). Mike Einziger (guitar) does an admiral job of playing live, and I am truly impressed that he does all effects himself, even during solo's like Pistola that require some tricky pedal work while playing. The drums are played well, and the bass is more defined than on the record. The vocals are fine, and sound very strong. // 8

Overall Impression: Very good perforance. Great value for the money. Varied tracklist from all major albums. Bad backing vocals most of the time. Lengthy interludes that sometimes make you fast forward. Some fan favorites missing, due to the varied setlist. If you are a fan of Incubus, this is the dvd for you. It is not perfect however, and has a few quirks of its own (like any live album should). If it was lost or stolen then I would probably buy somthing else, because I have already watched it at least ten times. // 8

Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: zep311, on january 03, 2005

Sound: The sound on the DVD is great. It had Dolby Stereo and 5.1 Audio Mix. I'm not really picky with sound so I can't tell you and little things I noticed that sounded bad. Besides the quality of sound the concert itself is well done and is excellent to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: I enjoyed the whole DVD. The whole thing was put together well, and the concert itself was great. I saw them in Chicago and thought it would be great to have the concert on film, and sure enough it came out on DVD. So overall it was great. // 10

Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2005

Sound: A great band has the obligation to make a wonderful live DVD, and Incubus did. They have always been a band with great sound and tunes, and it seems to me that they are always getting better, in every way. In this concert they played some of their older stuff like "A Certain Shade Of Green" and some new stuff like "Pantomime," where Brandon plays the guitar! Brandon sang better than ever, Mike played the guitar like nobody else, Pasillas rocked on the drum in every song and specially in the drum solo, and Ben prooved that he's a real bass master. Mr. Kilmore also did a fantastic job with the "Plates!" I also love the place where they played: The Red Rocks in Colorado! It's just a beautiful place. // 10

Overall Impression: I guess I have nothing more to say because it's all been said before, so I really recommend all of you to buy this DVD, even if you don't like Incubus. Maybe it's a good start to enjoy their music. If someone stole it from me, I would break the guy's face in two, for sure. But if I didn't find the thief, I'dd buy it again. It's a mesterpiece that everyone should own. Go ahead, pick one and don't stop listening to it! // 10

Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: cbe43016, on november 19, 2005

Sound: Incubus is known as one of the best live bands, they play each sound to perfection, sounding almost too much like the albums but they make it work. They do very well at getting the crowd into whether it's having them sing the song or Brandon taking his shirt off. Incubus's style is one of the most creative in music, they use a variety of things to make them sound great. From heavy distortion guitar riffs to a hip hop DJ to Brandon playing drums. They really now how too play a show and make it sound really good which isn't always the case with some bands. So if you ever wanted to see a good band live, Incubus would be a good choice. // 10

Overall Impression: I've seen a lot of live DVDs and compared to others its one of the best. It shows a good band doing what they do best which is playing to a very large crowd for 2 hours and never getting worse. I loved the different ways they played some of the songs they switched up some instruments and made it sound good which is not easy to do. If this was stolen from me yea I'd buy it again, it's worth another 20 bucks for it. Go out and buy it, it's really good. // 10

Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 25, 2005

Sound: Wow! The band has a great sound both in the studio and live. Brandon's voice is perfect, I dont think he hits one wrong note. The sound quality is very good, while still capturing that live atmosphere. // 10

Overall Impression: Best live DVD I have seen so far, altho John Mayer's Any Given Thursday is damn good too (too all those mayer haters, he's a blues guitar god, watch his DVD and you'll see). The most impressive things are the quality of the band's live sound (especially the vocals) and also the extra tracks on the CD. I both love and hate the wide range of albums they have put in (Too much ACLOTM) and not enough Make Yuourself/Science/Morning View. It is sad to see no tracks from the Fungus Amongus on here too, however the musicanship on that album is not as high so that may be the reason. The last point on this DVD is it appears Brandon cannot scream anymore, as over the albums his voice has mellowed. In Vitamin his scream is just him singing louder, and on certain shade of green his attempt isnt that great. Other than that, everything is perfect! // 9

Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: UtBDan, on november 29, 2005

Sound: Incubus is one of the few bands to have began its popularity in the '90s and to keep it through the new decade. Incubus is also one of the bands that deserves it: distinctive yet different, always growing yet always sounding like themselves. They're one of the bands that I think can just be explained as influenced by everything: their drummer has metal influences in him, but in one of the behind the scenes looks, their vocalsit Brandon Boyd is singing Usher (nicely, and in a what-may-not-have-intended-to-be-as-funny-as-it-was way). Overall, a great sound, a great band, and it's displayed very well throughout this DVD. // 10

Overall Impression: Best Incubus DVD I know of (then again I only know of a few). This is one of the things that I'll put in to fall asleep to, and end up staying up till 3 AM cause I want to watch the whole thing. If it was lost, I would buy it again. I love everything about it; the character displayed behind the scenes, the improvisations they do can be quite amazing, and the setlist just it's varied and leaves you wanting more yet completly satisfies you. It's an amazing DVD from one of my favorite bands, and I wouldn't say its a complete necessity if you're an Incubus fan but I would say its my favorite display of Incubus, CD or DVD. // 9

Alive At Red Rocks [DVD] Reviewed by: fxt_fella, on february 10, 2007

Sound: Some bands sound better recorded and listened to on the radio/CD player. Then there are bands that are better live. The energy that they put into the music while playing in front of a crowd only adds to the sound of their music. Incubus is one of these bands. Add to that the fact that it was their first ever gig at the legendary Red Rocks venue and you are in for an amazing sounding show. This concert has a very lengthy setlist that draws off all major albums which will please all fans of the band. The majority of the setlist comes from their then-latest release "A Crow Left Of The Murder." I originally didn't like some of the tracks of that album, but after hearing them live I instantly fell in love with them. The band all perform up to their amazing talent, with Mike showing his skills on both guitar and Rhodes keyboard. All in all, the sound is top notch. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is definentally the best that Incubus has released to date, with the concert definentally being one of my favourite gigs that I've seen on screen. Just how well the band plays the songs is the one thing that stands out to me. This is definentally one of those DVD's that I would buy again if it was stolen. In a nutshell, I love it. // 10

Comments