Fungus Amongus review by Incubus

• Released: Nov 1, 1995
Incubus: Fungus Amongus

This is a CD that I've always wanted, but never could find it, I finally found it in Best Buy one day and I got it immediatly. I really did enjoy their CD Enjoy because I really like that funkalicious, bass slappin, in your face style of funk grunge. They made this before their days with a DJ, so it saounds a little funny after listening to them for so long with one. Four of the songs on Enjoy are on this one along with 6 original ones. The bass slaps are seen a lot here and are really good to compliment Mike Eizinger's sweer riffs. The guitar here was awesome. It didn't just encompass funk, he ventures into grunge rock in Trouble in 421,Shaft and Psycosilocybin. The solos are really good too and are seen in almost every song.

Brandon Boyd's vocals have changed so much over the years and I could hardly recognize his voice. It sounds a lot more rough around the edges than the more melodic style he uses now, which suits the mood of the album. The lyrics are good, as usual, but nothing that really stands out at me.

This is truly like nothing I've ever heard, most of the songs go from a funk groove to a more metallic sound with dirty tones. Here's a rundown on the tracks: 01. You'll Be A Hot Dancer: a track off of Enjoy. A really cool song that a sound that is very unique, a funk groove with a kinda dark sound to it. 02. Shaft: another one off of Enjoy. Not one of my favorites, but not bad. An example that is purely grunge. 03. Trouble In 421: a favorite of the album, the best guitar solo on the album and a really cool chorus. 04. Take Me To Your Leader: another Enjoy track. Sounds a lot different without a DJ. 05. Medium: kind of a dark tone to it, pretty good song. 06. Speak Free: an odd song, but has awesome bass slaps. 07. The Answer: another good guitar solo here, vocals sound like they were made under water. 08. Psycosilicybin: awesome song, really a showcase of the bands talents, includes a few guitar and bass solos, a drum solo, and even includes Brandon rapping. 09. Sink Beneath The Line: really good song, has an awesome funk beat. 10. Hilikus: another enjoy beat which closes out with an awesome guitar solo.