Light Grenades review by Incubus

• Released: Nov 28, 2006
Incubus: Light Grenades

Just when you think Incubus must have run out of new and distinctive ways to play with their own personal genre, they bring out a new album. Light Grenades does not fail to impress. The songs alternate between the clean, acoustic type and the grungy, distorted sound Incubus have never failed to deliver with style. It opens with the eerie, electronic song "Quicksand" before diving straight into "A Kiss To Send Us Off," a song which demands attention. The single "Anna Molly" works much better within the context on the album than it does on it's own. "Love Hurts" is a simple, melodic treat for the ears which is followed by the excitable riff that begins the title song, "Light Grenades." The song "Rogues" sticks out from the others towards the end, with it's odd, changing tempo. The album closes with a song that started halfway through the album. "Earth To Bella" parts 1 & 2 are our intervals and closing credits. All round, "Light Grenades" is an album without flaws.

The lyrics could be considered photographic, in a way, with each song setting a scene. A more introspective approach has been taken, questioning various emotions and demanding a change in things that are unsatisfactory. This can be seen in the single, "Anna Molly" which is a name derived from the word "anomaly." The lyrics sung are, "A cloud hangs over this city by the sea. I watch the ships pass and wonder if she might be out there and sober as a well for loneliness, please do persist, girl, it's time we met and made a mess." This continues in the song, "Love Hurts," "Have a heart and try me, because without love, I won't survive." In the song, "Rogues" a kind of awakening is asked of us, when Brandon Boyd sings, "Enough bowing down to disillusion!" The same theme is played with in "Light Grenades," "No one's immune, deafening bells, my God, will we survive ourselves? Come on, remember who you are." As with many of the previous Incubus albums, though, while society at large and disagreeable emotions are explored and criticised, some comfort is also offered. In the song "Earth To Bella Part 1" it is sung, "The world can be an unfriendly place, so hold your head up and do your best to save some face." Lyrically, this album is well-rounded, an excellent balance of positivity and critical negativity.

It's not only the recognisable voice, but also the exact techniques used by the whole band when experimenting with music, that make Incubus what they are, which is a band separate from all others. They truly deserve every millimetre of popularity, mainstream or otherwise, which they have acquired. Personally, I find that each and every Incubus song I've heard has been enjoyable and I am yet to find one which I don't want to listen to regularly. Light Grenades is no exception. It is a relief to hear that Incubus have not strayed from their own path, despite popular music currently being saturated with pretentious faux-indie bands. They're simply talented, without having to prove it excessively. I would hate to ever be seen to be missing this album from my collection. I might even buy another 2 or 3 just in case.