Make Yourself review by Incubus

• Released: Oct 26, 1999
Incubus: Make Yourself

One word: perfect. But that's just my opinion. Aside from S.C.I.E.N.C.E., I believe Make Yourself has no flaws. Make Yourself has more of an intense and aggressive mood to it (such as 'Make Yourself' and 'Pardon Me'), yet it also has a softer and mellow side as well (like 'Drive' and 'I Miss You'). One thing I love about Incubus is how you can easily pick out the instruments yet they still all blend perfectly well together. From Dirk's bass lines to Kilmore's samples, you can hear it all. Mike Einziger's guitar riffs are amazing especially in 'The Warmth'. The guitar parts in the last chorus of that song gives me the chills even until now. This is that type of CD that you just can't exactly put into a category, so you'll just have to listen to it for yourself. Once you do, you'll easily be blown away and you'll most likely find a song or two (or perhaps the whole album) that you'll come to love.

I'll definitely say it a million times that Brandon Boyd is one of the greatest singers of all time. His voice is so well-developed that he can easily adapt his voice to fit the mood of the music. None of that annoying whiny sound here! People have also already mentioned that he's a lyrical genius and I can also agree with that 100%. Even if it's a heavy sound or a mellow sound going on in the background, Brandon's voice is so clear that you can understand him and ponder on his thought-provoking lyrics. Overall, the music, Brandon's singing style, and lyrics all fit together well like a puzzle. So not only do you get good music, you get good, meaningful lyrics as well. Nothing gets any better than that.

This album is definitely like no other. In a way, this album is like a mix between S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Morning View, but leaning more towards S.C.I.E.N.C.E. That's not a bad thing because that's just how I love Incubus the most. It's too bad that Dirk left because Incubus honestly was never the same or catchy after that. But that's just my opinion again. The good thing is that this album exists so you get to enjoy it as much as you want. Once again, I love the whole album, but some of the best songs are 'The Warmth', 'Pardon Me', 'When It Comes', 'Out From Under', 'Drive', and 'I Miss You'. If this album was stolen or lost, then I'd go crazy and hurry to the nearest store to buy another one. I don't know what I would do without this CD.

Burlhouse
    I love this album. Sometimes my favorite album ever, though often falling short to Morning View. But ten reviews where everyone has awarded perfect 10s. The reviews all seem to be written very well and cudos to the reviewers themselves, but perfect 10s across the board... Im surprised