Monuments And Melodies review by Incubus

• Released: Jun 16, 2009
Incubus: Monuments And Melodies

The five piece California-based band has been one distinct entity in an age of trend-whores and faceless "musicians" jumping on bandwagons. After being in the band for virtually 18 years, starting out as a high school band, Incubus is one band that has definitely "made it". This two-disc compilation is a career restrospective to a band that has created it's own little niche by not conforming to one genre in their already illustrious career. One thing that always stands out in an Incubus track, it's the spectacular and instantly recognizable vocals of Brandon Boyd. He has a presence on a song that not many singers in this day have, even after trying in the hardest possbile manner. The first disc is the standard "Greatest Hits" fare, with the band's best known singles along with two new tracks, the groove-laden first single "Black Heart Inertia" and the fantastically poetic "Midnight Swim", with the lengendary Brendan O'Brien taking over the helm as producer. Not many surprises in the choice of making a greatest hits package, with fan favourites like "Drive", "Wish You Were Here", "Stellar", "Pardon Me", "Megalomaniac", and a mini-surprise in a lesser-known song for a greatest hits collection, "Oil and Water", off their last album "Light Grenades". The downside of disc one, though, is the clear absence of tracks like "Vitamin", "Idiot Box" and "New skin" from the memorable debut S.C.I.E.N.C.E. But the real interest of the whole record lies in disc two, which makes Monuments and Melodies a fresh and interesting concept. Opening with "Neither Of Us Can See", an all Brandon Boyd version, unlike the previous version released on the Stealth OST as a duet with Chrissie Hynde, it makes a mark immediately as an easily memorable track. Three tracks into the CD, is the wonderfully infectious "While All The Vultures Feed", with Boyd crooning in his falsetto vocals over the lines "Their appetites callous and menacing/It humbles me/When prey softly outwits its predator/Such is a sight to see". Incubus' ever-so-chilled-out-side reminiscing the Morning View era is seen on the track "Anything", with a clear influence of The Police, with Boyd stating "I don't owe anything to you!", as the song's hook. But the album's real high point is hit on the song "Martini", with a groove which is not a million years away from Sanana's "Smooth", only more fitting to the band's persona. The song is a "new fresh", for a band that has an umpteen "fresh sounds" in it's repertoire already, and is definitely the best new track on the album (though a B-side, officially.). Other strong tracks include the fan favourites like "Punch Drunk"; a pensive and heartfelt track, showcasing Boyd at his best with the pen, the playful and energetic "Look Alive", an updated band-version of "Pantomime", "Admiration", a song that never got the recognition it deserved, and the sappy yet beautiful "Monuments and Melodies". Look out for Mike Einziger's solo at end of band's version of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy".

Lyrics is a one department where Incubus never fails, courtesy Brandon Boyd, the band's vocalist. The lyrics to the new and unreleased tracks on the record are at par, if not a notch higher in certain ways with the previous lyrical content of Incubus' work. The sarcastic touch given in the lines such as "Even the best frame won't change your wet painting into the Mona Lisa" from the aforementioned track "Martini", is one such example. Boyd singing "My hands are trembling/And my eyes are on fire/This house is crumbling/Left brain, left out, on the wire" suits the near heart-breaking vein of the song. The name Brandon Boyd is the key-word in this department.

The oozing creative energy of Incubus is undeniably felt on this record, be it in the poetic lyrics and prominent vocals of Brandon Boyd, the texture-fills of the now multi-instrumentalist DJ Chris Kilmore, simplistic-sounding yet tight drumming by Jos Pasilla, the funk/raggae influenced bass lines of Ben Kenney (former bassist Dirk Lance deserves a worthy mention.), or the soulful songwriting by the charismatic guitar player, Mike Einziger. This is one record that is different from the regular greatest hits CDs that we have seen in the past. A must-have for an Incubus fan, and a solid introduction to a first-time listener of a great band that is going hold some relevance 25 years from now.

Robert I.
    soapalot
    Nice review. I think this album is only missing two tracks; A Certain Shade of Green (the original) and Make a Move from the stealth soundtrack. They were both singles but for some bizarre reason were left off the singles disc. I'd also swap A Certain Shade of Green (Acoustic) for Crowded Elevator from the hard-to-find When Incubus Attacks EP
    xionbizkiteer
    Thanks. @1st - I know dude, but as funny as it may sound...those guy consider Fungus Amongus kind of a joke, which is surprising. @2nd -Yes, maybe, considering there are only 11 tracks on disc two. So a couple could fit in. But, ya know...they're the bosses!
    One Inch Man
    cd songlist is quite disappointing because there's too much from the latest (bad) record and too little/nothing from the older one. They ignored Fungus Amongus and SCIENCE completely!
    Quicksand15
    the only incubus CD that I think I won't buy...IMO, the only interesting thing about this is the internet rare songs thingy.
    Philly080
    Robert I. wrote: I thought Fungus Amongus was ther debut album... Good review, will definietly try to get ahold of it, just for the new tracks
    Yeah, that album is still unknown to about half of the Incubus "fans" out there.
    Bluesrocker5150
    That wasn't their major label debut. Similarly to why Nevermind is referred as Nirvana's debut, even though they're first album was Bleach.
    francoisincubus
    so happy to buy a new EP from the best band I've ever heard. I already know most of tracks but I'm very impatient to listen to the new ones. just feel sad to wait for a while to see 'em again in france(only a U.S. tour this summer). from a frenchie fan since the beginning : "you rock guys..."
    higherworlds
    incubus has really gone down hill, they had so much potiental after the science album, i mean they still put out good songs, just not good albums
    vans1170
    i think light grenades was terrible. i'm going to see them in august and i'm not looking forward to those songs. if they wouldnt have done the b-side cd, i wouldnt buy it.
    vans1170
    also, i know fungus amongus, SCIENCE, when incubus attacks (1 and 2), and enjoy incubus ep.
    kurtshapedbox
    I really like this new release. The new songs and B-sides are a real treat. I hope they play Punch Drunk when I see them July 22nd...plus it is one of Mike's favorite live songs apparently so maybe there's a chance. It's really fun to watch this band progress, mature, and develop an even more original and awesome sound with each album. Hope they put out a new studio album sooon!
    Rogues1055
    I just got this CD, and it is one of my favorites. "While the Vultures Feed" is my favorite song. I love this new album. I hope Incubus keeps rocking long into the future!
    sami0139
    I own this, and I love it. I didn't even think of the a side, I heard ''midnight swim'' and ''black heart inertia'' before the greatest was up and i own the other cd's so i didn't need anna molly ect... The b side is just wonderfull and man, the bass in ''look alive'' is genius !!! The songs are superb and the album cover is cool, and fits good in the collection. I must say i missed Vitamin and nebula. And i must go back and mention the greatness of this band, great lyrics, great singer, great guitarist, great bassist, great drummer and great dj. Oh I almost forgot, the great producer Brendan!
    DoomsdayArsenal
    My only disappointment was that Disc 1 doesn't have "Rogues." The lyric, "Hats off and applause to rogues and evolution!" gets me so pumped. As always, great guitar work!