Monuments And Melodies review by Incubus

• Released: Jun 16, 2009
Incubus: Monuments And Melodies

The album kicks off to good start with Black Heart Inertia, their latest single. Interestingly enough, it is one of the few Incubus songs with a traditional solo. Disc 1 also features such recent hits as Love Hurts, Oil and Water, and Dig (from their recent Light Grenades album) while not forgetting their past. I have to say, Nice to Know You, Are You In?, and Pardon Me are my clear cut favorites off of the first disc. And of course there's their second new song on the album, Midnight Swim, which is a bit heavier than Black Heart Inertia but still quite similar sounding. Unfortunately there was no material from either the S.C.I.E.N.C.E album or Fungus Amongous. It makes one wonder why they would neglect such a beloved part of their past. Now for Disc 2. This disc featured their b-sides and rarities, including an acoustic version of a Certain Shade of Green (which I felt was far too jazzy in a cheesy way than in a good way). Despite the aforementioned fail, the tracks Pantomime and Admiration stand out from the pack. If you haven't already, you should give them a listen. Other decent tracks include While All the Vultures Feed, Martini, and Punch Drunk.

As always, the lyrics are beautiful (and sarcastic at times). And all this is thanks to the amazing vocalist Brandon Boyd (I feel like I am announcing the Oscars, lol). As soon as he starts singing you know it's him. Although I have to say, the lyrics in Black Heart Inertia didn't really fit the music or tone of the song. It was still awesome though. Well, there's not much more to say about lyrics or singing (and hell I'm no English major anyways).

Now considering it's a greatest hits album at it's core, I wouldn't probably mind losing all that much (I already own all the tracks on the first disc)... BUT, the second disc is definitely worth replacing if something happened to it. I feel the best songs on the album are: Nice to Know You, Midnight Swim, Pantomime, and Admiration (trying to stay away from the first disc, since they're all incredible). This is also a great place for newcomers to start, or even established fans who haven't heard some of their lesser-known tracks. All in all, a good attempt at a greatest hits album with a few treats. Although, I was really hoping to see tracks such as Nebula, The Warmth, Vitamin, Hilikus, Idiot Box, Aqueous Transmission, etc. But hey, they can only fit so many songs.

Norin Radd
    Predictable. Smells like Incubus.. these guys have gone a long way to stop making real music that doesn't sound like the next track.. here's how the album sounds like guitars(Mike E.) , Brandon, and more brandon. someone please bring the old Incubus back from "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." or "Make Yourself"
    Curlinahaystack
    It's kinda sad that the only bitching about this album is complaints that they're not like they used to be. The band is constantly moving forward, leaving their old album's sound in favor of a completely new one. If you look at all their albums it follows. Plus, they're still an AMAZING live act, and did two songs off of SCIENCE when I saw them two weeks ago. Something like Psychopsilocybin or Sink Beneath the Line would have been excellent though. So either keep up or piss off. Incubus rules.
    -LGuitar
    Even though im disappointed that they missed out stuff from SCIENCE (Vitamin, Summer Romance, Idiot Box) it's still a great album, one of my faveourite Incubus ones. As for their new stuff, well amazing! Look Alive, Where all the Vultures Feed and Martini are my faveourites. A top class album from Brandon and the gang!