S.C.I.E.N.C.E. review by Incubus

• Released: Sep 9, 1997
Incubus: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was released in 1997, and is probably Incubus's heaviest album yet. It blazes with metal riffs, and the songs flow with guitar effects. This was Incubus's first original LP with a DJ, but the turntables synchronize perfectly into every song. All of these songs are well written musically, except "Magic Medicine" which in my opinion, is a waste of time. The album also got Incubus into Ozzfest, to show you how much heavier it is than the other albums. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. later had to be remastered when Incubus hit mainstream.

The lyrics on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. are great, and show a huge progress from "Fungus Amongus", Incubus's first CD. Not all the songs were written well however. "Magic Medicine" is relatively stupid, and "Deep Inside" goes back to the early Incubus style. Brandon Boyd is a great singer, and really proves himself in S.C.I.E.N.C.E. . He sings perfectly in every song, and even in "Summer Romance", he fits in perfectly. On "Calgone" he hits some of the more eerier vocals on the CD, but it still sounds great. The lyrics are wonderful in most songs. Boyd uses a ton of metaphors in his songs... and covers a large variety of subjects. His songs are a work of art, you can interpret them in many, many ways.

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. It is so well written and organized, but it has a certain rawness that you just don't hear anymore. Here is a track-by-track review: 1) Redefine -- Redefine is a perfect song to draw a listener into the album. It has a catchy intro, and then great lyrics. Incubus exercises all of its instruments and Brandon even raps, and makes it sound good. 2) Vitamin -- Vitamin is one of my favorite songs lyrically. "I'm born/I'm alive/I breath/In a moment of two I realize/That the sphere upon which I reside is asleep on its feet/Should I go back to sleep?" Vitamin has a huge dose of reality along with it. The music is mainly guitar effects. 3) New Skin -- New Skin is one of S.C.I.E.N.C.E.'s fastest songs. It is a great rock song. The lyrics compare himself to a scab among skin... Being that he is ugly now, but later he will be looked up to (hence, New Skin.) 4) Idiot Box -- Idiot Box is a song about television... and the world without it. It has a great intro to it. 5) Glass -- Glass is a great break-up song for all of you romantics... However, the song is supposedly NOT about a relationship with the opposite sex, but a song about former Incubus bassist Dirk Lance. This has not been confirmed by Boyd, but it sounds like it could be. The song is deceptively happy in the beginning. It is a strange introduction of a rock song. 6) Magic Medicine -- This song is a waste of time. The song has no significant music or nothing catchy. 7) Certain Shade of Green -- The first and only single off S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Certain Shade of Green has probably the best intro riff on the CD. It is very raw, but it still has that organization to it that makes all the Incubus songs trademarked. 8) Favorite Things -- Also a great song, Favorite Things is a song about religion, but it could be easily mistaked for another relationship. The guitar part is based upon effects, but it is still a strong sounding song. 9) Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song) -- Summer Romance is a great love song. It is also the only one on the album. The song doesn't rely on one instrument in paticular, except the vocals. The lyrics are well written, and at concerts, even "men with beards and 100 piercings" request Summer Romance. 10) Nebula -- Nebula is one of S.C.I.E.N.C.E.'s most artistic songs. The lyrics are hard to understand, and the music is relatively fast at sometimes. 11) Deep Inside -- Deep Inside takes Incubus a couple of years back into their funk roots. 12) Calgone -- Calgone is a great, eerie track about having a bad day. The lyrics are pretty much straight forward this time. The song goes extremely slow in some spots, and in other it breezes by. Secret Track -- The Secret Track after Calgone, or "Jose Loves Kate Moss Part 1" is mainly a bunch of crazy riffs and effects. There is also a pinball machine in a part of it, which sounds crazy with headphones. The track made me laugh in some spots of it, but beware, it is relatively long.