S.C.I.E.N.C.E. review by Incubus

• Released: Sep 9, 1997
Incubus: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

Harder and funkier than the new stuff, easier to listen to than the older stuff. Really cool bass and turntable activity, but as usual with Incubus, nothing is overdone. At this point Mike was very much in touch with how the guitar needs to sound to give the song the right effect. Of course, there's some weird, unexpected stuff too. (Just listen to #6 and you'll see what I mean.) Jose tears it up on the drums. The drumming is really fast and hard. Fun to listen to, it makes me want to play drums.

Lyrics are amazing. This is why I love Incubus. Stuff about what's reality and what's not (track #3), defying what's expected of you (#8), taking too much influence from tv (#4), etc. Kind of disconnected from outside influences. It really makes you think, and puts you in an amazing, artistic state of mind. Brandon's a pretty good lyricist. Here's a sample: "Into the sleep machine I won't plug in. In fact I'd rather die before I will comply. To you my friend I write the reason I still live, cause in my mind it's set the vitamin is ripe to give" -from "Vitamin", track #2.

I love it. I also love Morning View. Most people like one or the other, but it's interesting to see how the band progresses through the hard rock stage into calmer stuff, and then there's the new album, which is kind of different entirely. My favorite tracks are #2, "Vitamin", and #10, "Nebula". But unlike other albums (by other bands, too) I like all of the tracks. I just listen to the cd the whole way through instead of skipping around to the listenable songs. It's just good music you can rock out to or think about, depending on your mood. It's very artistic. If someone stole it, or if it got "losted", I'd go get a new one immediately. Go buy it. It's one of the greatest cds ever.