S.C.I.E.N.C.E. review by Incubus

• Released: Sep 9, 1997
Incubus: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

A breathtaking fusion of genres; funk, rock, jazz, metal and more, all incorporated into a brilliant record. Dirk Lance (bassist) is brilliant in this album, especially on tracks such as Redefine and Certain Shade Of Green. Shame he had to leave the band. Brandon is also more experimental with his vocals than on other albums (save perhaps for Fungus Amongus). Jose has his fun with the drums, he's a perfect technical drummer while still being supremely creative with his beats, again accentuated on this album, more so than the others. Guitar sounds awesome, although Mike doesn't show his full repetoire enough, IMHO. A lot effects too, in all tracks, which in some ways clutters the songs, which is my only minor problem with the album. Otherwise, mad.

Like all Incubus' albums, very deep and always with meaning. 'Clich' seems to be a dirty, dirty notion for Brandon, in the lyrical respect at least. Original to the point of mega-brain-explosion.

Best album Incubus has come up with thus far, not to say that the others are bad, though I would have liked to see more of this style in their proceeding works. If you are of the opinion that Incubus is either too mainstream or too mellow (because this is the direction that they headed in after SCIENCE) then you'll be pleasantly surprised by SCIENCE. This album needs more air.