S.C.I.E.N.C.E. review by Incubus

• Released: Sep 9, 1997
Incubus: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

This album is what is normaly considered as the 'classic' Incubus sound; crunching guitars, brilliant vocals and all laced with some turntable kung-fu. The genre is impossible to explain, and any attempt would require to many forward slashes as to be unreadable/incomprehensible. It is so unlike anything else out there, which is strange when you consider just how good it is. It would be a lie to say that this is an album without flaws though. Some tracks near the end lag a bit, and in my view Brandon is prone to over do the crazy vocals thing. But these are minor complaints, and generally the sound is great, perfect technicaly and with some great variation between songs.

These are some excellent lyrics, like sung poetry if you will, although in some places you will be hard pressed to make out what brandon is actually singing. But there is no doubting that this is a singer with skill, and that these are worthy lyrics. Thought provoking and way out there (like a tiny dot in the distance).

If you are a fan of Incubus you probably own this album already, as it is widely considered to be their best. It is more frantic than the mellow musings of 'A Crow Left Of The Murder', full of energy and creates a great sound. If I lost this album I would do all I could to replace it. If someone stole it I would hate to take it from them and stop them listening to it. Share the joy! Anyone who buys this album will find atleast one song to put in their top 10, though if you are me maybe you will find 3 or so.