S.C.I.E.N.C.E. review by Incubus

• Released: Sep 9, 1997
Incubus: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

This is definitely one of the most innovative and defining alteernative rock album's of the '90s, the sound which can truly be the original definition of Incubus's sound and is a more mature version of "Fungus Amongus". Unlike many eclectic albums which have a mixture of different genre's but are only seperated by each song, S.C.I.E.N.C.E is an album where many genres are found in one song, such as 'Redefine' which is a Rapcore anthem with Hardcore Funk verse with experimental ideas on The tables and amazingly fast punk-jazz Bridge, or lead single 'A certain Shade of Green' which is driven by a simple Hardcore riff and Soulful Vocals through the majority of the song until the bridge which is built around Dirk lance's amazing bass work. But the band prove themselves on 'Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)' where their experimentation with Funk, Hip-hop and Jazz pay off create an amazing blend of soul in a spaced out love song.The Album's sound can truly be compared to works such as The mars volta's 'Frances the mute' or RHCP's 'Blood sugar sex magik' in it wide soundscape of ideas.

The lyrics of the album are very simple with much of the same content of 'Fungus Amongus' (Sex, Love, conformity and Marijuana) but is Articulated in a much more mature way, the Amazing and Eccentric delivery of Brandon Boyds voice remains through either Soulful singing, Indian Houls, screaming or hardcore rapping he is able create many emotions in what is singing with a wide range, his voice is a mixture between Marvin gaye, Robert Plant and the Screamo acts of today mixed Zach de la Rocha rapping abilites.

The album remains a landmark and one of the most important Funk-Metal albums alongside 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' and 'Pork soda'(Primus), it remains a massive favorite of mine and many lovers of the genre, it's mixture of idea, beliefs, genres and sounds create a mental story for any listener and it is a must have for one wanting to become musician.

ratzgame
    I liked this album, especially Glass, Cetain Shade of Green, and Summer Romance. I bought a book of the Make Yourself album though for guitar, it's got tabs and sheet music, also has the lyrics. It's pretty cool.
    bassboy 999
    S.C.I.E.N.C.E depicts some of the best riffs and lyrics with extreme alternative style. Great album.