S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Review

9.6
 9.8
 1,250
S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: spoonman017, on october 17, 2003

Sound: S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was released in 1997, and is probably Incubus's heaviest album yet. It blazes with metal riffs, and the songs flow with guitar effects. This was Incubus's first original LP with a DJ, but the turntables synchronize perfectly into every song. All of these songs are well written musically, except "Magic Medicine" which in my opinion, is a waste of time. The album also got Incubus into Ozzfest, to show you how much heavier it is than the other albums. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. later had to be remastered when Incubus hit mainstream. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. are great, and show a huge progress from "Fungus Amongus", Incubus's first CD. Not all the songs were written well however. "Magic Medicine" is relatively stupid, and "Deep Inside" goes back to the early Incubus style. Brandon Boyd is a great singer, and really proves himself in S.C.I.E.N.C.E. . He sings perfectly in every song, and even in "Summer Romance", he fits in perfectly. On "Calgone" he hits some of the more eerier vocals on the CD, but it still sounds great. The lyrics are wonderful in most songs. Boyd uses a ton of metaphors in his songs... and covers a large variety of subjects. His songs are a work of art, you can interpret them in many, many ways. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums of all time. It is so well written and organized, but it has a certain rawness that you just don't hear anymore. Here is a track-by-track review: 1) Redefine -- Redefine is a perfect song to draw a listener into the album. It has a catchy intro, and then great lyrics. Incubus exercises all of its instruments and Brandon even raps, and makes it sound good. 2) Vitamin -- Vitamin is one of my favorite songs lyrically. "I'm born/I'm alive/I breath/In a moment of two I realize/That the sphere upon which I reside is asleep on its feet/Should I go back to sleep?" Vitamin has a huge dose of reality along with it. The music is mainly guitar effects. 3) New Skin -- New Skin is one of S.C.I.E.N.C.E.'s fastest songs. It is a great rock song. The lyrics compare himself to a scab among skin... Being that he is ugly now, but later he will be looked up to (hence, New Skin.) 4) Idiot Box -- Idiot Box is a song about television... and the world without it. It has a great intro to it. 5) Glass -- Glass is a great break-up song for all of you romantics... However, the song is supposedly NOT about a relationship with the opposite sex, but a song about former Incubus bassist Dirk Lance. This has not been confirmed by Boyd, but it sounds like it could be. The song is deceptively happy in the beginning. It is a strange introduction of a rock song. 6) Magic Medicine -- This song is a waste of time. The song has no significant music or nothing catchy. 7) Certain Shade of Green -- The first and only single off S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Certain Shade of Green has probably the best intro riff on the CD. It is very raw, but it still has that organization to it that makes all the Incubus songs trademarked. 8) Favorite Things -- Also a great song, Favorite Things is a song about religion, but it could be easily mistaked for another relationship. The guitar part is based upon effects, but it is still a strong sounding song. 9) Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song) -- Summer Romance is a great love song. It is also the only one on the album. The song doesn't rely on one instrument in paticular, except the vocals. The lyrics are well written, and at concerts, even "men with beards and 100 piercings" request Summer Romance. 10) Nebula -- Nebula is one of S.C.I.E.N.C.E.'s most artistic songs. The lyrics are hard to understand, and the music is relatively fast at sometimes. 11) Deep Inside -- Deep Inside takes Incubus a couple of years back into their funk roots. 12) Calgone -- Calgone is a great, eerie track about having a bad day. The lyrics are pretty much straight forward this time. The song goes extremely slow in some spots, and in other it breezes by. Secret Track -- The Secret Track after Calgone, or "Jose Loves Kate Moss Part 1" is mainly a bunch of crazy riffs and effects. There is also a pinball machine in a part of it, which sounds crazy with headphones. The track made me laugh in some spots of it, but beware, it is relatively long. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2004

Sound: Harder and funkier than the new stuff, easier to listen to than the older stuff. Really cool bass and turntable activity, but as usual with Incubus, nothing is overdone. At this point Mike was very much in touch with how the guitar needs to sound to give the song the right effect. Of course, there's some weird, unexpected stuff too. (Just listen to #6 and you'll see what I mean.) Jose tears it up on the drums. The drumming is really fast and hard. Fun to listen to, it makes me want to play drums. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing. This is why I love Incubus. Stuff about what's reality and what's not (track #3), defying what's expected of you (#8), taking too much influence from tv (#4), etc. Kind of disconnected from outside influences. It really makes you think, and puts you in an amazing, artistic state of mind. Brandon's a pretty good lyricist. Here's a sample: "Into the sleep machine I won't plug in. In fact I'd rather die before I will comply. To you my friend I write the reason I still live, cause in my mind it's set the vitamin is ripe to give" -from "Vitamin", track #2. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it. I also love Morning View. Most people like one or the other, but it's interesting to see how the band progresses through the hard rock stage into calmer stuff, and then there's the new album, which is kind of different entirely. My favorite tracks are #2, "Vitamin", and #10, "Nebula". But unlike other albums (by other bands, too) I like all of the tracks. I just listen to the cd the whole way through instead of skipping around to the listenable songs. It's just good music you can rock out to or think about, depending on your mood. It's very artistic. If someone stole it, or if it got "losted", I'd go get a new one immediately. Go buy it. It's one of the greatest cds ever. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: vicvic, on april 12, 2005

Sound: A breathtaking fusion of genres; funk, rock, jazz, metal and more, all incorporated into a brilliant record. Dirk Lance (bassist) is brilliant in this album, especially on tracks such as Redefine and Certain Shade Of Green. Shame he had to leave the band. Brandon is also more experimental with his vocals than on other albums (save perhaps for Fungus Amongus). Jose has his fun with the drums, he's a perfect technical drummer while still being supremely creative with his beats, again accentuated on this album, more so than the others. Guitar sounds awesome, although Mike doesn't show his full repetoire enough, IMHO. A lot effects too, in all tracks, which in some ways clutters the songs, which is my only minor problem with the album. Otherwise, mad. // 10

Lyrics: Like all Incubus' albums, very deep and always with meaning. 'Clich' seems to be a dirty, dirty notion for Brandon, in the lyrical respect at least. Original to the point of mega-brain-explosion. // 10

Overall Impression: Best album Incubus has come up with thus far, not to say that the others are bad, though I would have liked to see more of this style in their proceeding works. If you are of the opinion that Incubus is either too mainstream or too mellow (because this is the direction that they headed in after SCIENCE) then you'll be pleasantly surprised by SCIENCE. This album needs more air. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: spongy, on october 20, 2005

Sound: This album is what is normaly considered as the 'classic' Incubus sound; crunching guitars, brilliant vocals and all laced with some turntable kung-fu. The genre is impossible to explain, and any attempt would require to many forward slashes as to be unreadable/incomprehensible. It is so unlike anything else out there, which is strange when you consider just how good it is. It would be a lie to say that this is an album without flaws though. Some tracks near the end lag a bit, and in my view Brandon is prone to over do the crazy vocals thing. But these are minor complaints, and generally the sound is great, perfect technicaly and with some great variation between songs. // 10

Lyrics: These are some excellent lyrics, like sung poetry if you will, although in some places you will be hard pressed to make out what brandon is actually singing. But there is no doubting that this is a singer with skill, and that these are worthy lyrics. Thought provoking and way out there (like a tiny dot in the distance). // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of Incubus you probably own this album already, as it is widely considered to be their best. It is more frantic than the mellow musings of 'A Crow Left Of The Murder', full of energy and creates a great sound. If I lost this album I would do all I could to replace it. If someone stole it I would hate to take it from them and stop them listening to it. Share the joy! Anyone who buys this album will find atleast one song to put in their top 10, though if you are me maybe you will find 3 or so. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: angelo04, on may 18, 2004

Sound: This album has a great mix of sounds, from the rap metal feel of 'redefine' to the the more drum and bass feel of the quite bizzare 'magic medicine'. There are a varied amount of music styles used in this album although most of these styles are shown in the hidden tracks at the end of 'calgone'. These sounds vary between drum and bass, rap metal, laid back saxaphone sounds in 'summer romance' and lots more. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are brilliant, they are so original and fit oerfectly with the music. Brandon is a great singer, with the ability to reach quite high notes and rap. The best lyrics on the album have to come from either 'redefine' - "Imagine your brain as a canister filled with ink, now think of your body as the pen where the ink resides. Fuse the two; Kapow! What are you now? You're the human magic marker, won't you please surprise my eyes?" and 'glass' - "If I had a dime for every time you walked away, I could afford to not give a sh*t and buy a drink and drown the day" // 10

Overall Impression: This is a much heavier album than their latest release and in my opinion is much better. There isn't really a bad song on the album but the best songs have to be 'redefine', 'magic medicine' and 'idiot box'. This album is definately worth buying. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: If there was a way to give higher than a 5 I would. This is it. No need to buy any other rock album. I became a fan in the "Morningview" days, and a friend of mine recommended this album to me. My first response was "this is Incubus???" I was floored. The sound is so much fun with cool little zonks and zoinks all over it, this weird little rap/rock mix tat doesn't sound all "Limp Bizkit". And then they decide "Hey let's make a jazz song!" Why the hell not. I love this album. Definitely my favorite. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon's got the lyric thing down. Although I do think he was a bit F'd up for a few of the songs (Deep Inside). But, they are incredibly strong. Some of the best lyrics I've personally ever heard. The highlight songs as far as lyrics go are Redefine, Glass, Summer Romance, Calgone, Idiot Box, and Certain Shade of Green. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, one of the most musically arresting albums ever made. These songs still sound fresh six years later. This album introduced me to a song that I personally regard as my favorite song of all time (Vitamin). And, this album sold me as a real fan of Incubus. I now own everything they've recorded thanks to this album. Great Job. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: pablohoney1983, on february 27, 2005

Sound: This was a metal/math metal/jazz fusion/techno/funk album that was way ahead of it's time, and/or out of the realm of the musical past or future. The style of this album, as well as Incubus' debut "The Fungus Among Us," is so difficult to explain, and yet simultaneously great. The music is technically perfect, innovative and brilliant, and the vocals of lead singer Brandon Boyd, who then donned a fountainous amalgimation of dreadlocks atop his head, were stellar as always. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were almost insignificant when taking into consideration the innovative style, but they were consistent with all other Incubus albums, in that they were abstract, expansive and, in this case, especially scientific in nature. Some songs on this album even refer to outer-space phenomena such as "Nebula" and "The Anti-Gravity Love Song." // 8

Overall Impression: This was probably the best Incubus album to date, yet it received little or no airplay and/or publicity at the time. It is also the heaviest Incubus album, even incorporating some screaming and the chromatic guitar stylings associated with math metal (i. e., Mudvayne, Dillenger Escape Plan, etc). If you don't own this album, or if you have never heard it, don't let your conception of present day Incubus stop you from at least giving it a listen. It is one of the most unique albums around, and I guarantee at least one of the songs on it will instantly become one of your favorites. // 10

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Reviewed by: numb82, on september 24, 2007

Sound: This is definitely one of the most innovative and defining alteernative rock album's of the '90s, the sound which can truly be the original definition of Incubus's sound and is a more mature version of "Fungus Amongus". Unlike many eclectic albums which have a mixture of different genre's but are only seperated by each song, S.C.I.E.N.C.E is an album where many genres are found in one song, such as 'Redefine' which is a Rapcore anthem with Hardcore Funk verse with experimental ideas on The tables and amazingly fast punk-jazz Bridge, or lead single 'A certain Shade of Green' which is driven by a simple Hardcore riff and Soulful Vocals through the majority of the song until the bridge which is built around Dirk lance's amazing bass work. But the band prove themselves on 'Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)' where their experimentation with Funk, Hip-hop and Jazz pay off create an amazing blend of soul in a spaced out love song.The Album's sound can truly be compared to works such as The mars volta's 'Frances the mute' or RHCP's 'Blood sugar sex magik' in it wide soundscape of ideas. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are very simple with much of the same content of 'Fungus Amongus' (Sex, Love, conformity and Marijuana) but is Articulated in a much more mature way, the Amazing and Eccentric delivery of Brandon Boyds voice remains through either Soulful singing, Indian Houls, screaming or hardcore rapping he is able create many emotions in what is singing with a wide range, his voice is a mixture between Marvin gaye, Robert Plant and the Screamo acts of today mixed Zach de la Rocha rapping abilites. // 9

Overall Impression: The album remains a landmark and one of the most important Funk-Metal albums alongside 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' and 'Pork soda'(Primus), it remains a massive favorite of mine and many lovers of the genre, it's mixture of idea, beliefs, genres and sounds create a mental story for any listener and it is a must have for one wanting to become musician. // 9

Comments