Trust Fall (Side A) review by Incubus

• Released: May 12, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Incubus: Trust Fall (Side A)

Since releasing "If Not Now, When?" in 2011, the California quintet that is Incubus has found a new label, new management, and maybe even a new spark for creating music collectively. While no album Incubus has released sounds quite like the one before it, "Trust Fall (Side A)" is a significant leap from the lush, and warm tones that composed its predecessor. Providing fans with the slowest song the band have ever written while also offering caffeinated, "thrash-pop," side A of "Trust Fall" is a combination of the old and new. It sounds a bit like a practice in sonic juxtaposition, while being cemented in the familiar, tight grooves and melodies that listeners should have come to expect from Incubus during their twenty-four year-old career.

The EP (and subsequent full album) opens with the title track, "Trust Fall." "Trust Fall" is reminiscent of 2004's "A Crow Left of the Murder" featuring jangly Fender tones from guitarist Mike Einziger, while Ben Kenny pulls the track together with bass that walks the rope between beefy and punchy with incredible precision. "Trust Fall" tracks in at just over 6 minutes, as the group fleshes everything out until they sound satisfied. "Make Out Party" - the slowest Incubus track yet - comes in with a low, droning, Deftones-like guitar part, which is offset by Brandon Boyd's falsetto vocals. While arguably off-putting at first, after multiple listens it would be easy to believe that "Make Out Party" may actually be one of the most interesting Incubus tracks in the bands expansive discography. Sounding a little bit like it could have been recorded at multiple intervals of their career, pushing pop and alternative grunge influences turn the track into a work of bizarre ingenuity. "Absolution Calling," the first single released for the EP/album, boasts a modern Incubus sound. Key samples from DJ/keyboardist Chris Kilmore, and the chorus-infused bass take inspiration from the '80s, while José Pasillas' slightly offbeat drum groove and Einziger's overdriven guitar patterns could be taken from a variety of Incubus tracks over the last 10 years. The poppy vocal pattern and general driving rhythm of the track make it an appropriate single, and re-introduction to the group after years of absence. "Dance Like You're Dumb," a "trash-pop" number that the band describes as "highly caffeinated," is the last track on the "Trust Fall (Side A)." Playing with distorted bass, hard rock guitar riffage, and thick keyboards, "Dance Like You're Dumb" is tied together by a bridge that hosts gospel-influenced female backup vocals that almost call back to The Rolling Stones.

Boyd's vocal and lyrical abilities have been subject to praise for over a decade, and not much of that should change after the release of "Trust Fall (Side A)." His voice soars over the tracks with unique precision and cadence, making it one of the defining factors in Incubus' sound. The lyrics on "Side A" move between highly metaphorical and abstract, to up-front and blunt. "Make Out Party" is a highly sexual number, with Boyd's falsetto sounding reminiscent of styling that could be found on a Justin Timberlake album. "Let me introduce you to my slippery fingers, glistening and dangerous, I'll use them all in ways that would make you giggle at my funeral," Boyd sings, playfully, against the backdrop of deep and disgruntled guitars. "Absolution Calling," on the other hand, leaves itself more open to interpretation while centering itself around the concept of absolution, or even the theme of forgiveness as a whole.

"Trust Fall (Side A)" is a collection of songs that, while experimental, playful, and different, all manage to feel appropriately Incubus. Before the album was announced Boyd told Fuse that he believed there was "still a lot of p-ss and vinegar in [Incubus] collectively." And although "Side A" does not necessarily sound like a group that is full of said p-ss and vinegar, it does sound like a group of musicians with a rejuvenated spark for their craft. 2011's "If Not Now, When?" could have marked the sonic end of Incubus' edge, but "Trust Fall (Side A)" shows fans that they still have plenty to offer. Chances are the EP will not be bringing in waves of new fans, but it will be solidifying the places of old ones, and reminding general audiences that, over 20-years later, Incubus is still one of the most interesting bands of their generation.

Patrijz
    Those two songs actually aren't that bad. My taste has gone in another direction, but glad to see/hear these guys are still making some good music.
    YanUder
    Make Out Party sounds like a bit of mashup of Make a Move and Switchblade. I really love Ben Kenney's solo work, and I pick up a lot of his style sprinkled throughout this EP, which I really love. This EP also steps back into that jangly, almost-mathy guitar style that Mike was really using during Light Grenades and ACLOTM albums... which is this sound I really love Incubus for. I was surprised at the amount of energy that each of these songs actually have, and suprised at how much I actually liked this EP (INNW was a bit ballad-heavy and I was very apprehensive about this release.)
    simon_toomer
    I agree, INNW was terrible and almost put me off completely. Happy to see them coming back to form a bit. Still think Make Yourself is the best album they've released.
    toby5126
    Absolution calling and trust fall are really good songs but I think that the other two are terrible.
    soapalot
    Make Out Party is the slowest Incubus song yet? Have you ever heard Monuments and Melodies?! Anyway, that was a good fair review. As for the EP I think it's a very solid mix of songs. There's a harkening back to the older Incubus sound (Trust Fall), a more modern take on that sound (Absolution Calling), an experimental track (Make Out Party) and a song where they just sound like they're having fun (Dance Like You're Dumb). It is very short though, another two tracks would have been great but they are apparently releasing a 'Side B' later in the year and possibly even a 'Side C' at some point, so we should get to hear more new music soon (ish). Oh and by the way, in addition to those two posted lyric videos there's a new one for Make Out Party which is pretty cool.
    elcapitan1800
    I can't quite say I enjoy Make Out Party yet, not sure if that one will ever grow on me, but I am loving the rest. I wasn't sure about Dance Like Your Dumb at first, but the more I listen to it the more I love it. Absolution Calling is excellent as well, can't wait for Side B!
    Absolute Rock-O
    Make Out Party is starting to grow on me. Musically-wise, I find it wild. I'm just not sure yet about the lyrics.
    estabon37
    After reading the comments, I assumed 'Make Out Party' must be terrible (in an 'If Not Now, When' way). The sound is fantastic, and the lyrics strike me as deliberately ridiculous. Picture it being sung by the biggest creeper you've ever met sleazing on the 10th hottest girl in a bar; really getting up in her face. I think it's sung 'in character'.
    jacobdubya
    My only problem with the album is it's too short, even for an EP. It's more like a maxi-single. Otherwise, I'm surprised people are rating it so low. "Trust Fall" is more familiar Incubus and is a great track. I agree with the reviewer that "Make Out Party" is off-putting at first, but it really does get much better on multiple listens. "Absolution Calling" sounds both new yet strangely familiar; it actually seems very reminiscent of Muse, but also sounds original. "Dance Like You're Dumb" is probably my least favorite; it sounds a lot like "Switchblade" from INNW with the bass-heaviness of it. Overall, a solid release. Can't wait to hear Side B.
    wardyh
    4 tracks and a 20 minute running time is fairly standard for an EP. Also, a maxi-single isn't necessarily any shorter than an EP - in fact it can be longer. The only difference is a maxi-single generally contains one featured song plus a few B-sides, whereas an EP is more like a short LP.