Alice & June review by Indochine

• Released: May 14, 2005
Indochine: Alice & June

Just a quick note, I am judging the single disc version of this album, which misses eight tracks from the double album. Indochine are one of the biggest rock acts in France, formed in 1981, although only one of the original line-up is still in the band today. I first got into them after a French friend sent me a few tracks from this and their previous album, 'Paradize' (2002). The sound has developed more heavy for 'Alice & June', but is still very Indochine. Nicola Sirkis' vocals are emotionally charged vocals, and his on-stage charisma are major assets to the band, as well as the songwriting (what I can understand, as the lyrics are mostly French). I suppose the style would be heavy rock, but I find it hard to place.

Almost all of the lyrics are French, making it hard for me to judge, but the songs I understand are maybe a little clicheed, but great for it all the same because the singer puts weight behind every word.

The stand-out songs from this album are 'Ladyboy', 'Gang bang' and 'Pink Water 3', a collaboration with Brian Molko (Placebo). My favourite of these is probably 'Pink Water 3', which is less heavy but builds brilliantly. I love the delivery of the lyrics, and the organic distorted tones of the guitar with the electro elements of the synth that appears on many of the tracks (more notable on 'Paradize', but still present here). Having been around since the '80s, their extended appeal to the younger generation is similar to that of U2, but they have never made it in the UK (or America, I don't think). I've also seen them live (lucky me), I can honestly say they are a great band.

mulletman500
    This is labelled as a CD-single, but I labelled it as the 'album simple', being the single-disc version of the album. So, this is not a single, it is the abridged version of the album. I hope I haven't added further confusion.