I Swear... Review

artist: Inhale Exhale date: 06/20/2008 category: compact discs
Inhale Exhale: I Swear...
Release Date: Jun 10, 2008
Label: TNL
Genres: Alternative CCM, Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore
I Swear... finds Inhale Exhale still rolling out pure headbanging, gritty brutality; only this time, the band is at its creative best.
 8.7
 9.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
I Swear... Reviewed by: xFeatherx, on june 20, 2008

Sound: I've been a fan of Inhale Exhale since I bought their first CD. This new album brings a lot more to the table than the old CD did. They experimented with different sounds, which they didn't do on their first album. Ryland worked with many more vocals ranges; on the first CD, he screamed in every track except for "The Lost. The Sick. The Sacred." On this album he shouts, screams, and sings. In the track "It's Myself Vs. Being A Man" he incorporates all three elements and it just sounds great. Their style has changed, a lot. If you were a fan of their heavier songs like "Redemption," "A Call To The Faithful," and "Dance All Night" this may not be for you. // 8

Lyrics: As with the first album, they lyrics are very religious. In "I Needed A Spaceship (Instead I Got Problems)" towards the end Ryland starts saying "love me and fear me, do as I say and I will be your slave" in a very catchy manner. I liked how not everything is "I love you God, you're my savior," the lyrics are more complex. In "It's Myself Vs. Being A Man" the religious aspect of the band is more apparent; "You said this won't be perfect, after all we know it's right, and the sounds of God is crashing." I find the lyrics to be extremely appealing. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a very large step forward for this band. It shows that they can experiment and not sound like complete fools. I found myself listening to "It's Myself Vs. Being A Man," "I Live The Bad Life," and "Knowledge=Priceless" nonstop. I loved that Ryland has improved his vocal range and that the whole band has matured themselves. I really dislike that this album only has 11 songs on it and only being around 4-5 minutes long, it's a short CD. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again simply because I find it to be better than their first album. I would recommend this CD to anyone who enjoyed some of the softer tracks on "The Lost, The Sick, The Sacred" and fans of Norma Jean, Haste The Day, As I Lay Dying, etc. // 9

Comments